Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fan motor on my 67 convertible makes noise which gets worse as the speed goes up. I would like to think there might be something in there but common sense says the shaft bearing is shot. Are the replacement motors you see in Mustangs Unlimited decent and accurate? Second and more important, what steps are required to get that thing out? Thanks to all who can help.

G

·
0 Posts
Remove the heater core box located under the glove box,(just above the passenger's feet),and you will see the squirel cage for the fan. Put a drop or two of oil on the shaft and see if the noise is cured. I don't know about Mustangs Unlimited fan motors quality, I have'nt heard anything against them.

G

·
0 Posts
I bought a fan motor from Mustangs Unlimited for my '66. I think there were two to choose from and I bought the cheaper one. It fit and worked ok, but it looked slightly different than my original one. It didn't come with the proper terminals on the end of the wires, so I had to cut off my old ones and crimp them to the new motor. Also, the wire colors were the exact opposite of the original and I initially hooked it up wrong (Fan ran backwards!). Also, the wires that came with it were way to long and should be shortened.

John

G

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure about your year model, but on my 70, its a major PITA to get out and back in. Mine wasn't sqealing until after I put it back togehter (heater core replacement). I shot a fog of WD40 down in the cowl with the fan running on high. It got enough lube to quiet it down. Nice aroma in the car for a while too :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts