Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello I recently have a 1964.5 coupe mustang. the motor and cooling system are original. It has the 4 blade fan and no shroud. The car gets hot rather quickly 220 using hand held temp scanner. the temp gauge has the needle about 1/8 from hot line. Can some who has been in this situation recommend where to start. install shroud which one is best, install 17 inch fan 6 blade , flush cooling system . the car has a/c. thanks for all your help

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Is it a 6 or 8 cyl? How many miles on engine? Coolant mix 50/50?

I'm pretty sure a 65/66 289 with AC had a fan shroud. As I have an orig shroud from a 65 v8 stang that had ac. Think they also ran 5 blade fan, not sure.
If stuff orig, due a t-stat change, maybe radiator cap.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
220 isn't hot... (seem to be having a deja-vu here). For this time of year, assuming you're in the US, you can be concerned if it's 235 or more. When you fill your radiator, don't fill it all the way to the top. The coolant should only be about 1/8" over the core tops when cold to give the coolant space to expand... which it does as soon as it reaches 190+.

·
Registered
35,451 Posts
More info would be helpful. What engine is installed? What type of A/C? Do you have photos of the engine compartment and the evaporator assembly (the under dash unit)?

·
Registered
35,435 Posts
Any Mustang with AC should have a shroud, and at minimum a fixed 6-blade fan. A 6-blade thermal clutch fan would be even better.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes it is a 289 I just ordered the fan clutch and clutch fan and will install on Saturday. replaced the t-sta, will add shroud and check fluid level. will upload pictures of cooling system thanks again. I will report back on results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts