Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am searching for a fan shroud, I have a 17" wide champion radiator and cant seem to find one that fit. is there a bracket kit or something that works for shrouds that 20"?

·
Registered
355 Posts
A couple of questions... are you currently overheating and/or do you even need a fan shroud? I've honestly never run one before and have never had any cooling problems, of which I also even have a Champion brand aluminum radiator. Also, what particular application are you running? I'm assuming it's for a 1965/66 car? Is it a v8 or 6 cylinder? Electric or clutch fan? If you're looking for an electric fan for a 1965/66 car with a 6 cylinder then you want a 251FS16 that's the first link below. If you're looking for an electric fan for a 1965/66 car with a v8 then you want a 259FS16 that's the second link below.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A couple of questions... are you currently overheating and/or do you even need a fan shroud? I've honestly never run one before and have never had any cooling problems, of which I also even have a Champion brand aluminum radiator. Also, what particular application are you running? I'm assuming it's for a 1965/66 car? Is it a v8 or 6 cylinder? Electric or clutch fan? If you're looking for an electric fan for a 1965/66 car with a 6 cylinder then you want a 251FS16 that's the first link below. If you're looking for an electric fan for a 1965/66 car with a v8 then you want a 259FS16 that's the second link below.

I have a 289 bored over, I over heat when I’m idling or drive it a while, it’s the normal fan not clutch, with champion radiator I’ll loook at the second link

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
How far away is your fan from the radiator?

The factory style shroud has stand off brackets that the shroud bolts to.

There are different brackets for different thickness radiators.

The mechanical fan and shroud is the easiest solution and should work just fine. It worked for millions of Mustangs for over 50 years.

Reactions: zray

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How far away is your fan from the radiator?

The factory style shroud has stand off brackets that the shroud bolts to.

There are different brackets for different thickness radiators.

The mechanical fan and shroud is the easiest solution and should work just fine. It worked for millions of Mustangs for over 50 years.
The fan is about an inch off the radiator fins it had an extended bracket to get that close but still over heats, I flushed the system, put some wetter wet. And I’ve said that it’s worked but could it be it has a bigger cam and bored over?

·
Premium Member
15,001 Posts
“….. but could it be it has a bigger cam and bored over?

how much bored over ? Usually +0.030 is no problem , more than that could be an issue.

do you have a mechanical temperature gauge installed ? It would be helpful to put a number to your overheating issue. Up to 230 F for brief periods of time is no problem, especially if it comes down to the mid 220’s F when the car is in motion.

Z

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how much bored over ? Usually +0.030 is no problem , more than that could be an issue.

do you have a mechanical temperature gauge installed ? It would be helpful to put a number to your overheating issue. Up to 230 F for brief periods of time is no problem, especially if it comes down to the mid 220’s F when the car is in motion.

Z
It’s 30 over, I have a a mechanical gauge that that sits on 180 degree but when it gets to red is about 270-290 until I start driving and goes back to about 200.

·
Premium Member
15,001 Posts
It’s 30 over, I have a a mechanical gauge that that sits on 180 degree but when it gets to red is about 270-290 until I start driving and goes back to about 200.
I have to comment that I do not have confidence in a gauge displaying a temp of 270-290 F. That’s way to high to be accurate (or believable). Not saying you don’t have an issue, but the gauge is not reporting correctly. If you had temperatures that high the motor would likely be seizing.

I recommend an AutoMeter full sweep mechanical gauge. They are not the cheapest, but are accurate and will last.

Gauge Motor vehicle Measuring instrument Font Auto part

Speedometer Tachometer Automotive lighting Odometer Gauge

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My gauge sits sits on 80 degree Celsius, when it gets to the over heating it creeps to 115 degree Celsius that’s when I rather start to drive or shut it off. I don’t drive it while it gets hot. I did the math wrong in my head was at the fly of the moment

1 - 11 of 11 Posts