Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember me asking for fan shroud advice a week or so back. I had been told by my A/C shop that my shroud was too deep – a concept I just couldn't wrap my brain around! They insisted that the back half of the fan shoud be out of the shroud, and my A/C may not work properly as long as my shroud was so deep. (For those that don't remember – I have one of those 4" fiberglass shrouds from Dallas Mustang.)

So, despite replies advising me not to alter my shroud, I did it anyway! ;) With trusty Dremel in hand, I sawed off the back 2 inches of my fiberglass shroud (with it still in place). I was then able to use some of the curved scrap pieces to fill in the huge gaps against the radiator – I'm not sure why they were there in the first place. After a little fiberglass fabrication and a few strips of foam insulation tucked in cracks, my shroud is much thinner and completely sealed to the radiator.

And I have good news to report... After nearly 2 days of driving this new set-up, I've had freezing cold air every minute! :: Before this alteration, it was cold at start-up; but warmed to room temperature after 5 minutes. My temp gauge does now climb 2/3 the way to "H" (something new for this car), but that's of course to be expected when running A/C.

So, apparently there's really something to the shallow fan shroud theory – at least as far as my A/C performance is concerned. It does cool better with the back half of the fan exposed. As a matter of fact, those skinny original Ford shrouds that I always thought looked so useless, are probably the best bet. They just wouldn't be quite as easy to modify and seal to the radiator (as fiberglass).

Things are finally cold down in Texas! ;)

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
good job! It's been so hot that I began fooling with getting my stock a/c stuff in working order again as well. Now I need to have a charge put on it and I may get lucky...but will probably need a new compressor/dryer soon.
Oh well, it's only money. But you GOTTA have a/c around here if you want to drive anywhere! tp.

G

·
Not sure,but I think that the 'Huge Gaps" against the radiator are meant to make belt replacement easier. Works for me with a standard fan/shroud set up. Otherwise the shroud must be removed to replace them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts