Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just came home with an upgraded 3.5" fan shroud for my 65. The guys at So-Cal speed shop here in Phoenix said the fan blades should fit about 2/3 inside the shroud. The only way that will happen is if I don't use the fan spacer. Do I need the spacer? The distance between the radiator and the fan will obviously be greater as well.
I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The shroud sounds like the wrong one for your car. You need to keep the fan at the same distance from the radiator...about 1". The fan shroud should be compact enough that the sides meet with the blade tips on the fan. That is, the fan should neither be deep in the shroud or backed off from the shroud else it isn't going to be very efficient.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the shroud is sold as a replacement for the little stock metal strip that acts as a shroud. I know Mustang Plus and Sacramento Mustang sell it as well. I guess maybe I'll try it with the stock spacer and see what happens.

Thx,

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I too live in Phoenix and have the 3 inch shroud. I bought a flex fan and on the back they say you should be 2/3 out of the shroud with the fan or you will be blowing air against the shroud not through it. A spacer is not needed unless you are too close to engine components. It also says optimal distance from radiator is 1 1/2 inch you will probably be 2 inches, if shroud is right diameter this should not be a problem. Gary

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gary, your info is right on. Without a spacer the fan is about 50-50. I'm using a hi-flow Edelbrock water pump and I think the shaft may stick out a little further than the stock pump.
How do you like that flex fan?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Have used a lot of flex-fans and always had good luck with them. Use 60%H2o and 40% anti freeze here in Az. Water is actually the best coolant but boils over easy here in the heat and up in the mts. Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts