Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously posted on trying to wire the fan so it stayed on after I shut off the engine, but based on the input you guys provided, I'm going to wire it so that it is only on when the ignition is on. Which brings me to my question... I know this should be easy, but where is the best place to tap into a hot ignition wire? I thought the "I" pole (the post on the right versus the "S" pole on the left) on the solenoid would work, but I measured the voltage there and it is only 6.5 volts with the key on and 10 volts when the engine is running. Is that right? I could start poking wires until I find one that is hot with the key on, but before I do that, I thought someone might be able to point me in the right direction. Note that I have an automatic with the neutral start switch if that matters.
Thanks again,
Tom

·
Registered
670 Posts
Stay out of you "to the ignition" wiring.The voltage you spoke of is correct for your coil.The best place is the back of you ignition switch.Any wire except black or pink.SCOTT 936-756-2535

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was hoping not to have to go back through the firewall, but if that's the best way, I can do it.
Tom

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you want the fan to stay on with the ignition off you need to hook up the ignition wire for the fan relay(usually yellow) to the battery side of the starter selonoid. Or splice it into the battery feed wire for the fan. ;)

·
Registered
35,968 Posts
if this is simply the trigger for the fan relay, I don't see why the "I" terminal on the Voltage Regulator wouldn't work either. In any case, you should be using a relay with the main power source coming from battery+, preferrably on the battery side of the solenoid where all the other feeds are picked up.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
I ran my fan power wire off the battery side of the solenoid to the fan thermostat switch then to the fan. The fan stays on for a few minutes after the engine is shut down. It is rather a simple circuit.

Hope this helps,

Pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts