Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this `65 from the original owner. It`s a 289, automatic, with power steering & A/C. The engine was all there, but not running. I took it all apart, had machine work done, rebuilt it. But now, for some reason, the balancer and water pump pulleys do not line up. What looks to be off is the water pump...sticks out to far.
But this is the same pump that was on it before.
When I got it, the belts were not on, so I`m not sure if they lined up before, but this pump is the one that was on the engine. Any ideas as to why the belts don`t line up?

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Any chance the water pump pully is flipped around backwards?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Are you sure you didn't mix the water pump pulley with one you had laying around......Or the previous owner had changed the water pump and put on the wrong pump...
You might try to find the part numbers on the pump pulley, and the water pump, and post them here. Someone will tell you if you have the right stuff....

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
sticks out too far

Quantify please?

Did you have your damper rebuilt?

Do the other accessories which drive off the crank pulley line up with it or the water pump pulley?

Get back to us....

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Do the PS, AC, and crank pulley line up? Try using a straight edge to take a measurement.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I had the same problem... My timing cover was a C4xx cover and was 1/4-3/8" bigger than the C5xx cover that was laying in the box o'parts. This extra amount caused the crank pulley to have to be spaced out a bit, but I had probs with the A/c and P/s pulley. I *think* that changing this timing cover over will fix this, but I don't know. The C5xx cover takes the W/P with the plate, the C4xx takes the W/P without the plate (no center holes in the Timing cover.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with whoever said it was the timing cover. If you have an early timing cover, and use a water pump with the tin cover on the back, the water pump WILL be too far forward.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I`ll check that then. I couldn`t find a part number on the pump without taking all the belt off, which brings up another question! The bottom pully has 3 grooves, the water pump pulley has 2. To drive the alt., power steering, and A/C compressor, how many belts should be on there? 3 right?
Everything appears to line up EXCEPT the water pump, and yes, it`s only off by less than an inch, but enough that the belt rides up & out of the groove. How to determine early front cover from later?
I don`t know exact build date, but it was purchased new on April 14th, 1965 according to the documents that came with the car.
Thanks for all the help so far!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An early timing cover has two holes, drilled and tapped where the water pump bolts onto it. They're located at about 5 and 7, if you think of looking at a clock. A later cover has NO holes at those postitions, just the raised lip in the aluminum that dodges the flat bolt heads on the back of the tin cover on the back of the cast iron water pump. Hope this helps, instead of confusing you. You are right about the belts. The alternator and power steering both go on the water pump pulley and the A/C belt does not. Find yourself an aluminum water pump for a falcon 260, if your parts source can't find you one for an early mustang. Set the aluminum water pump, (one with the exposed impeller) on your cover, and put the pulley on it and see if it lines up better for you. The date code of when your car was built doesn't matter too much. After all these years, usually, there is no telling what timing cover someone bolted on your engine. As you probably already know, it'll fit anything from a 221 cid, to a 351 windsor.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Actually, there are 3 possible water pumps, one with a back plate, and 2 with open impellers. None are truly interchangeable. Besides the two iron ones discussed here, there is an aluminum one with 2 extensions out the back to fit into the water pump channels on the timing cover. I am lucky enough to own all 3 types of covers, and can get timing cover numbers (the first two end in a -A and a -C, for without and with the back cover. I have no idea yet what the number on the third one is). Autozone and Advance Auto parts carry the iron ones. partsamerica.com carries these and the aluminum (may be for HiPO)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts