Vintage Mustang Forums banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
A little surprised more discussion follow up on the fitting of a1967+ style transverse muffler setup retrofit has not happened here. Ford was on to something quieter in those later models with that 3 ft plus extra system length. I will be interested to see what the 'guru' does.

·
Registered
1969 Ford Mustang Convertible
35 Posts
I'm following this as well. I've got a convertible 69, stock 351w, 2" exhaust, true duals, no H-pipe, plain old turbo-style mufflers....Conversation in the car with the top down is easy, you can hear the radio thru the one speaker in the dash while driving no problem - but I wouldn't mind if it were a bit quieter. Like most, I wish there was a silver bullet, but there's just too many variables between everybody's cars for it to be that straightforward.

@midnitecruiser and @kechke.....Looking at the replicas of the stock mustang exhaust in the NPD catalog you can see a dual setup on page 191 of the most recent catalog....Is this what y'all are referring to? I wondered if this setup would be the ticket. They identify it as a 65 289 Hipo 2" setup. I wonder what the A/B difference would be on mine with that transverse added in. Of course there's an H-pipe in there too....I can't find these specific mufflers in the NPD catalog, but they appear to be turbo-style.
Font Aircraft Parallel Newspaper Gun barrel

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I'm following this as well. I've got a convertible 69, stock 351w, 2" exhaust, true duals, no H-pipe, plain old turbo-style mufflers....Conversation in the car with the top down is easy, you can hear the radio thru the one speaker in the dash while driving no problem - but I wouldn't mind if it were a bit quieter. Like most, I wish there was a silver bullet, but there's just too many variables between everybody's cars for it to be that straightforward.

@midnitecruiser and @kechke.....Looking at the replicas of the stock mustang exhaust in the NPD catalog you can see a dual setup on page 191 of the most recent catalog....Is this what y'all are referring to? I wondered if this setup would be the ticket. They identify it as a 65 289 Hipo 2" setup. I wonder what the A/B difference would be on mine with that transverse added in. Of course there's an H-pipe in there too....I can't find these specific mufflers in the NPD catalog, but they appear to be turbo-style.
View attachment 816421
That's very interesting, I'll show it to my exhaust guy. The only transverse muffler I was aware of was the one for the single exhaust, like the one that was on my c code when I bought it.

·
Registered
'66 Convertible 200/c4 Vintage Inline Headers with Arvinode Duals
291 Posts
Transverse duals were (are?) quite common.The 69 Camaro 350 I had came with one.It was also used on the Nova and Pontiac cousins.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
O.K. guys, here's the update. My exhaust guy ( https://58thandcentralautomotive.com ) was too busy to get my car up on a lift until today. He said the Walker Quiet Flow 22430 will fit no problem. He also said, like you guys said, that offset in/center out is the normal set up, the opposite of what my "factory" system is. He also said that the 14" mufflers on my car now were "small" and not suprised that they were not quiet. The reason I chose the system that's on the car now was I thought it would be quiet because it's a repro of the factory dual exhaust and I thought Ford wouldn't put a exhaust on the car that would offend anyone. It was just o.k. with the stock C code engine, but the extra 125 horses make more noise (and heat). Anyhow, I've odered a pair of 22430's from Summit (Amazon was 20 cents cheaper but they only had one in stock). They should be here Mon. or Tues. and hopefully on the car next week. I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Good call on going Summit. I’ve ordered mufflers from both. Summit always has everything perfect in the order. Amazon is hit or miss. An example, Amazon sent me a 2.25” version of a Flowmaster Hushpower when I clearly ordered a 2.5”. The difference IMO is that people that work at Summit like cars and only ship car stuff. Amazon workers may pull a pillow and then go try to find a car part then a shower head. Big difference. The Summit brand stuff is pretty decent. Holley makes a lot of Summit brand parts (Holley owns Flowmaster, etc.)

I’m eager to hear your thoughts once it is installed.

·
Registered
Original 1965 Mustang coupe, 289, c4, 2 barrel
20 Posts
IMHO, go to a local muffler shop with old guy who still has an oxy-acetylene torch in the corner..... drop the muffler and hanve him hold up different mufflers until you find what's good for your ear....IMHO, I would highly suggest Allied (bron wrap) resonators (glasspacks)..... look for something in the 30" plus length which will easily fit under our cars and you'll be happy..............deep sound, a little rumble, no drone and they last a very long time....I typically get 15-18 years out of a set on all my vehicles.
Ditto beechkid's comment, because that is exactly what I have on my '65 c code 289 coupe. Like it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Another update: The mufflers arrived today in perfect condition (thank you Summit) so I called the exhaust guy, expecting to bring it in next Mon. or Tues. after the holiday. Much to my surprise, he said to drop it off at the end of today. Apparently he works on the classics at night,after they're closed. When I got there a really nice '57 Chevy was up on one lift. My car should be ready sometime tomorrow. Stay tuned.......

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
O.K., it's time for my initial review. I say initial because opinions can change over time. Sometimes mods we do are loved forever, sometimes you have better ideas down the road and sometimes you end up wondering "what was I thinking?". I've driven it twice, Once just to listen to the exhaust, and another normal drive to run some errands. The first thing I did was to stand behind it after it was warmed up and listen to the idle. "that's not any quieter" was my first thought. It did have a tiny bit less rasp, maybe a tiny bit deeper, but not quieter. The idle sound was never a problem and isn't now, just an observation that it's not any quieter at idle. Driving the car was different. It is quieter. Not quiet like a new car, but quieter. Definitely an improvement. The "howling" sound that started at 2,000rpm is gone. It wasn't a drone, wasn't that bad. It would just get louder and louder above 2k (all those new horses). We all shift our manual trans cars by ear (not the tach unless we're racing) and I found myself shifting at 2k because of the noise. Not any more. With the new mufflers I'm now shifting normally. Still on the break-in oil so I can't really hammer it yet, but It's more fun! So, to sum it up......the Walker Quiet-Flow 22430 will fit a '65 Mustang. All my exhaust guy had to do was fab a couple of brackets to use the factory hangers. No new holes. They did make a difference. While they still have a "healthy" sound outside the car,I can easily hear my tunes and have conversations while driving now. I'd like to give some kudos to Mark at https://58thandcentralautomotive.com . He did an excellent job and if you need exhaust work in the St. Pete Florida area I highly reccomend him. Here's a pic of my 325hp, T5z, Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window
3.55 Truetrac beach cruiser.

·
Registered
1969 Ford Mustang Convertible
35 Posts
61 - 70 of 70 Posts