Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recently purchased 1965 Fastback hast the interior trim 25 (Red Vinyl). I am confused about the different shades of red and believe that not all parts are original
The kick panel and the headliner is a dark, slightly brownish red. The door panel is more a classic bright red. The dash cover is a pale red. The seat cover is a metallic red. Which one is there correct trim 25 red?

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

What also irritates me: The dashboard, steering column and rear covers are black. The cars weren't delivered in two colors, were they?

Pic 4

Thanks for your help!

·
Dimples
5,853 Posts
I’m seeing some 66 parts and colors mixed in here. Do a Google search for “red 1965 mustang interior” and you’ll see what I mean. 66 had a darker red, which is what I’m seeing here in the door and kick panels.

Also, no, the dash and other metal parts should be bright red.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Can you show a full shot of the seats? My guess it was a misbuy on color.

Also, not being Debbie downer, but 1965 red is one of the hardest colors to get everything to match. Kick panels are the worst.

65 red is much brighter, more orange than what you have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a picture from the seats. They have a touch of a metallic surface.

And here's another picture from the door panel and kick panel - you can see, that they are really different in color. Maybe the kick panel is a 66 color part?

Ans I'm still confused about the black parts, maybe the previous owner didn't like the red, but then he did a lot of work.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
You have a blended interior, 3 different ones all tossed together.

Seats are deluxe interior (Pony) seats. Doors are standard interior. Painted surfaces that should be red are black. Fiberglass that should be red is black.

Late 1965 could have a deluxe interior, but not early 1965.

The reds I am seeing are mostly 1966. I would not focus on the kick panels as they are aftermarket speaker ones.

How about a clear picture of the dash, a complete picture of the door, with the door open so I can see top, bottom, front and back.

Do you have a build date for the car?

Bottom Line: Any one can make their own choices on their own car as to what colors, options, etc. they want it to be, but if you are trying to make it "original" there is basically 1 option. The only reason I waiver on that at all is, since the original factory records are long gone, a car COULD be the "wrong" color, inside or outside, and there is no way to prove it. Things can be proven NOT to be, but harder to prove that it HAD to be.

For example, if the car was built Oct 64, well into the 1965 production, it could not have Deluxe Interior from the factory.

Show the steering wheel, the complete instrument cluster, etc. Step further away, so more area is covered in each picture.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are very good and interesting thoughts. The pony seats are most definitely an aftermarket part. My next step is to remove some covers to find out if the black metal parts and fiberglass were red before. Perhaps they were always black and are replaced from another vehicle.
The car was built in late October 1964.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts