Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
New York State did not issue titles on cars until asfter 1973 so this does not have a title just a registration

Is this for real?? I thought all cars sold by dealers CAME with a title- that's how you proved you bought it, right??

If it was done correctly by a reputable shop, runs, drives, and all works- it'd probably not that bad of a deal really. I'm curious why they wouldn't just finish it and sell it for more- suppose they realized there's a big problem somewhere and they're unloading it??

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Maybe the trunk doesn't close after all the mods...?

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
New York State did not issue titles on cars until asfter 1973 so this does not have a title just a registration

Is this for real?? I thought all cars sold by dealers CAME with a title- that's how you proved you bought it, right??
I grew up in NY, but I wasn't born until 1980, so I don't know how it worked before the 80's, but that is correct, as far back as I can remember, NY has always been a "no title" state for vehicles 1973 and older. All you get is a little square registration card.

If it was done correctly by a reputable shop, runs, drives, and all works- it'd probably not that bad of a deal really. I'm curious why they wouldn't just finish it and sell it for more- suppose they realized there's a big problem somewhere and they're unloading it??
To finish it right, it probably needs another 10-15K in paint and parts, at a minimum.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I grew up in NY, but I wasn't born until 1980, so I don't know how it worked before the 80's, but that is correct, as far back as I can remember, NY has always been a "no title" state for vehicles 1973 and older. All you get is a little square registration card.

To finish it right, it probably needs another 10-15K in paint and parts, at a minimum.
Wow- didn't know that. I guess I assumed you'd always need a title for a car since Iowa's had them forever it seems...

·
Administrator
13,016 Posts
Then you'll have a fake Fastback. LOL
Stan

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Stan
Which is why I'm guessing it's for sale... the cost to finish outweighed the final value, but based on the current bid, they're probably going to do OK on the sale with where it's at now.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This does not appear to be that bad a deal. My only concern would be the workmanship of the conversion. Are all the braces in tact? etc.
Yep, if bidding doesn't go much higher it could be a good deal.

And yes, you may have to spend a bundle to finish it up and have a fake fastback....but a REAL Mustang with VIN.

And look at it this way, this already has brand new suspension and parts in it....and it runs and drives.
You could spend $17,000 for a brand new Dynacorn body, spend a bundle installing suspension and finishing it up and have a fake Mustang fastback.

·
Registered
527 Posts
So what would my real 66 C code fastback be worth today?

All the minor rust work done, never rusted fenders hood and trunk lid body shell on wheels. A pile of new and NOS parts. All the original part fastback parts. Most of the factory stuff for factory A/C, 4 spd, and disk brakes.

I am thinking I would never get to it and might sell it.

·
Premium Member
13,098 Posts
Stan
^^^^^^^

Exactly. I don't see any good reason to build, or buy, a Frankenstein car.

There was a dealer up in Kansas recently that had a '65 coupe/fastback that he was asking 16K for. It took him a long while to move, don't know the sales price.

Z

·
Premium Member
6,207 Posts
^^^^^^^

Exactly. I don't see any good reason to build, or buy, a Frankenstein car.

There was a dealer up in Kansas recently that had a '65 coupe/fastback that he was asking 16K for. It took him a long while to move, don't know the sales price.

Z
I saw a good reason to build one, a "Frankenstein car" as you call it. Untold numbers of others have too. Some are members here at VMF.

·
Premium Member
13,098 Posts
I saw a good reason to build one, a "Frankenstein car" as you call it. Untold numbers of others have too. Some are members here at VMF.
Regardless of you or others have done, I don't see any financial or engineering benefit to the effort. I wouldn't buy one. There are plenty of factory fast backs available for my needs.

You have your views, I have differing views, no big deal.

Z

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Stan
What he said! I bought my fastback back from the guy I sold it to in as good of condition or better for less money than this one. And mine is a true fastback v8 car. While purple wouldn't be my first choice of colors I'd much rather buy this one for a little bit more money or really anything else other than the car in the OP's post.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-fastback-/222165846151?nav=SEARCH

·
Premium Member
6,207 Posts
Regardless of you or others have done, I don't see any financial or engineering benefit to the effort. I wouldn't buy one. There are plenty of factory fast backs available for my needs.

Z
If limiting your perspective to financial and/or engineering benefits, then no, I guess you wouldn't see it. As for "plenty of factory fast backs available", not all have the wherewithal for that ante as you do.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts