Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been curious about a few things concerning fastbacks. In the past I have only had coupe's, but would really like to aquire a fastback. With all of the clones out there I want to be sure I don't get snookerd. Here are my questions:
1) I have seen 65/66 fastbacks with vents or glass in the passanger area. What makes the difference for one to have glass? I have seen GT's with both, I have seen 350H with glass, std fastback with vents. Anyone know when it should be glass and when it should be vents?
2) On the data plate, will any of the numbers signify GT? I can decifer the codes, but how do you know it is really a GT?
3) Is there a book out there that gets into the details about what should have been on a particluar car? For example, if I find a "Shelby" I know there are specific differences but what about the fine details?

Any help would be appreciated.
Chris

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
The ONLY Mustangs to originally have the quarter windows were 1966 Shelby Mustangs. All other 65/66 fastbacks got the vents. As a matter of fact, those 66 Shelbys arrived at Shelby American with vents in place, and they were cut out.

The plexiglass Shelby quarter windows have long been an aftermarket item; and with the restomod craze in full swing, plenty of fastback owners are switching over to them. I've even considered it! But it's irreversable. Once you've cut out all the attaching supports (that hold the vents in place), you're stuck with the windows. Better be sure you like them!

As for the differences in a factory GT and standard models, there are volumes of info out there. The Mustang Recognition Guide comes to mind. Any of the larger Mustang parts vendors should carry it, as well as most Barnes & Nobel stores.

If you're considering buying a real Shelby, take the time to educate yourself for sure. There are plenty of fakes out there. To me, a "fake" is far different from a "clone." A fake is made specifically to fool someone into spending more money than the car is worth.

I'm sure someone can link to a previous post that discusses several of the GT-specific features you can look for. Good luck and welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
1) Vents were standard on ALL 65 & 66 Mustangs. 65 Shelby street cars also had them. The 65 Shelby Race cars had a flat panel pop-riveted in place of the vents. The 66 Shelbys were the ONLY cars that came with windows.
http://a4.cpimg.com/image/7C/B9/11933564-435c-02000150-.jpg

2) There is no single code that will identify a GT on the data plate. If you are lucky enough to find a car with the buck tag attached on the radiator panel, you are looking for a "PIO" code that ID's the GT package. other than that, the only data plate codes which give any clue would be the engine code (must be A or K), and the date code - Must be later 65 production.

3) The "Mustang Recognition Guide" would be the first book I would buy.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

With all of the clones out there I want to be sure I don't get snookerd

<hr></blockquote>Not sure how to take that - what would make you think you're getting snookered if you knowingly buy a clone???? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif A clone is not a bad thing - a fake is....

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Hi Chris - Welcome to VMF. Since you refer to 1/4 glass on fastbacks, I will assume you are interested in a 65-66 fastback.

The questions you ask have been asked many times here, and more information than you could ever possibly absorb can be found using the search feature. I will try to give you a brief answer as a foundation, for each of your questions.

1) "I have seen 65/66 fastbacks with vents or glass in the passanger area. What makes the difference for one to have glass? I have seen GT's with both, I have seen 350H with glass, std fastback with vents. Anyone know when it should be glass and when it should be vents?"

Quarter windows on early fastbacks was only a Shelby GT350 feature - both standard and Hertz cars had them in 1966. 65s had the standard flo-thru ventilation gills - as did all other fastbacks, GTs included. Many owners have converted their non-Shelby fastbacks to use these windows for cosmetic and practical (visibility) reasons. A conversion kit can be purchased for about $300.

2) On the data plate, will any of the numbers signify GT? I can decifer the codes, but how do you know it is really a GT?

This question has been thrashed here many many times over the years. A search for "GT" will yield thousands of informational posts. The short answer is that early GTs had no unique identification. The best you can do is to eliminate cars as genuine if they do not have the following:
* An "A" or "K" in the 5th position of the VIN. "C" or "T" automatically eliminate a car as being genuine.
* Grille-mounted foglamps with at 13/16" hole for their wiring in the radiator support. Also, a lamp switch mounted on the lower left area of the dash - just down and to the left of the headlamp switch.
* HCCAX or HCCAW code on the fast-ratio steering box tag.
* 13/16" front sway bar.
* Kelsey-Hayes 4-piston front disc brakes
* Reinforcements in the floorpan (under the rear seat bottom) and in the rear frame rails (just aft of the rear spring mount) to support dual exhaust hangers.
* Unique rear brake hose and hanger to avoid exhaust interference.

3) Is there a book out there that gets into the details about what should have been on a particluar car? For example, if I find a "Shelby" I know there are specific differences but what about the fine details?

Plenty has been written, although I don't have the links on my new computer - I'm sure several people will offer you suggested reading. I personally like Dean Tsuji's web site documenting his weird 65 GT coupe. It has great photos of all the features that differentiate real GTs from clones. Be very careful when shopping for a real Shelby, there are far more early GT350s on the road than Shelby ever built - if you know what I mean. The Shelby American Automobile Club has extensive documentation on every real car and can help you authenticate any car being represented as the real thing.

I hope this helps. Again, welcome!

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
I dunno Cloney, I'd feel pretty snookerd if I ended up with your car.

NOT!!!!

Clones are great, particularly well-crafted ones like yours (I'll ignore the automatic thing for the moment).

If you are being told a 65/66 is a Shelby, make sure you do your homework - the most important being checking with Howard Pardee at www.saac.com to check the Shelby VIN/Ford VIN as a first step in authenticating.

And this group here is always ready to chime in with assistance too!

-bob

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Clones are great - [color:red]Bob</font color=red> Dooley - August 29, 2002

<hr></blockquote> - Saved to favorties for future reference!!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did not mean to offend on the remark "snookerd". I was really refering to the seller out there who knows more than me about fastbacks and tries to pass off a fastback clone for the real thing. I see that "fake" would have been a better choice of words. Thanks for the info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts