Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the water drains behind the air extractors on a 66 are supposed to look like?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Water entering vent grilles drains into a little tub below the air extractor that collects water. The tub is shaped towards a drain. An attached drain hose connects to the bottom of the tub and carries water out the bottom side of the car.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the tubs an integral part of the body or a seperate piece?
Where can I get these pieces?

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I'd describe the "tubs" as large drip rails. They are integral to the car. Have yours been cut out for Shelby window mods?

On my fastback, I corrolessed the "tubs". They drain down to the floorpans via a hose (I used an old bike tube attached by hose clamps). Also, there was a small hole in he floorpan in that area. I enlarged that a little, inserted oit through the floor a sprinkler fitting that I'd found at Home Depot, and attached the drain hose to it....That way, any water in the hose goes DIRECTLY out of the car as opposed to pooling and supposedly eventually draining out....

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
The "tubs" or "gutters" are typically an integral part of the vent assemblies. The majority of them have a spout in the center that a hose slides onto, and channels the water to a drain hole in the floor.

However, if your fastback is a '66 model, you may not have the "spouts" for the hose to clamp onto – mine didn't. I couldn't figure out how the hoses originally attached to the gutters. There was no evidence of spouts ever having been there. But there was the remnants of tattered plastic sheeting draped over the entire area.

I devised my own spouts and hoses and the problem was solved – water drains properly. But only recently did I discover that some '66 models never used hoses. The plastic sheeting I had discovered and thought to be a shoddy repair attempt by the previous owner, was in fact Ford's doing. Water was supposed to exit the vent gutter, and be guided by the plastic sheeting into the drain hole.

Of course it rarely worked, and most of these fastbacks have rusty rear floors as a result.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I must have the drains with no spout. There is about a 1/8" lip under the drain...to small for attaching a hose. I'm interested how you devised your own drain as I don't want water on my feet.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The 66 fastbacks did not come with a hose, only 65:s. The only thing leading water to the drain holes on a 66 was a bit of plastic sheets taped to the tubs. (as mentioned by Dan66)

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I would've said that all '66s have no hose, except I've seen one with hoses. Perhaps it was an early run '66...

When I though my spouts had been lost, I went to Home Depot and walked slowly down each isle looking at every little gadget they sold. I don't remember what it was I found; but it was exactly the shape I was looking for: about a 5/8" spout with a thin lip around one end. It slipped into the drain hole from the top and I secured it with way too much silicone goo. I then attached a heater hose to its underside with a worm clamp, and routed the other end of the hose directly into the drain hole.

I'll often do this... Not knowing what part I need, I'll browse a home improvement center looking for anything remotely appropriate. With a little imagination, most things can be convinced to work! ;)

I'm sorry I'm no real help here. I'd suggest the plumbing isle!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhh, but you all have been great help. I guess the "correct" hoses I purchased from an as yet un-named person on the "for sale" forum that are in rerality 1 inch Gated black stripe heater hose..are not correct or needed.
Is that Aqua and White I see in your interior?
I've spent 17 years dealing with Pontiacs. I bought the 66 Fastback completely dissasembled. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions..Like where is the fog lamp circuit breaker supposed to be located?

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Yep – aqua/white deluxe interior and Tahoe Turquoise exterior. I plan to one day change to a tan interior though. I'd like to find a set of late-model tan leather buckets, and paint the rest of the interior to match...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine is supposed to have the same interior, but the previous owner bought all pieces to convert to black. Exterior was a custom order 63 Mercury Ocean Turquoise

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I had a pair of 65 drain hoses and installed them on the 66. Like the previous poster, I found some pipe fittings at the hardware store that were adapted/sealed to the drain holes in order to install the hoses. I found the 65 hoses in a basket of extra parts that came with the car. They are somewhat similar to heater hose, except they are molded/expanded at the top where they would slide over the 65-type drain pipe. The 66 drain only has a small lip which is not large enough to mount a hose. Interestingly, 38 years ago, I had a new 65 GT Fastback which began to grow mushrooms in the rear carpet. I discovered that the vent drains had no hoses; so I installed heater hose, which worked fine. It was 30 years later that I found out that the factory was supposed to install something there.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
These are 65s, but a good visual aid for what you are trying to hook up
http://www.dodgestang.com/images/subframe14.jpg
http://www.dodgestang.com/images/subframe13.jpg

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
My 66 did not have them . I bought the crankcase adapter the connects to chrome air cleaners and bolted it to the bottom of the drain hole and ran a lenght of hose thru the floor .Works great .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts