Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to put a new factory exhaust on my car. When I bought it the exhaust had resonators and the baffle tips.
I replaced the system but no resonators and reinstalled baffle tips.
If I purchase a correct new set with resonators will the baffle tips still fit. The picture of the these
really don't look like they will fit.

·
Registered
34,988 Posts
Of course. That's the OEM style 65-66 exhaust, I believe from Motive. Why do you think the tips won't fit?

This is the only system more "correct" than Motive, and you don't want to know what it costs-

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They look long. But if you think they will be ok awesome.
Who makes the ones you are referring to,

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
If you were closer I would off up my original system off my '65 GT. Pipes are all in really good shape. One muffler is starting to get a small hole. Resonators are long gone, removed by the OO/PO. I only took it off because the original DS manifold cracked in half on our way back from Minnesota to Nor Cal in June, and I switched to Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers.
Exhaust systems last a lot longer here in Cali.

·
Registered
34,988 Posts
"Who makes the ones you are referring to?"

Scott Fuller. Concours reproductions.

One problem I see a lot is 65-66 GT with the tips not protruding enough. The weld between the stainless and tip should be directly above the nut on the bottom of the trim ring.

From Fuller's website-

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.
These little things are whats this site is about. I just ordered the system and new tips. and with this picture I will get it right.
Did you have resonators on at any point and did they sound good.
The Avinoes would be really cool but not for my car as I am keeping it original.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
I am looking to put a new factory exhaust on my car. When I bought it the exhaust had resonators and the baffle tips.
I replaced the system but no resonators and reinstalled baffle tips.
If I purchase a correct new set with resonators will the baffle tips still fit. The picture of the these
really don't look like they will fit.
My GT was built 10/25, Metuchen plant. 135090, yours?

Allen

·
Registered
34,988 Posts
Thanks.
These little things are whats this site is about. I just ordered the system and new tips. and with this picture I will get it right.
The Arvinode would be really cool but not for my car as I am keeping it original.
I have had four exhaust systems on my car, the first was OEM, the second lacked resonators, the next two were repros with them. I'd never go without again. Ford was right when they spent the extra money on them.

Repro tips usually sound too buzzy. They are too cheap to stamp the louvers enough. If they are not at 45°, you'll need to use a needle-nose pliers to increase the angle to 45°. Lotta people cut them out, but a) You lose the "look", and b) you lose the downward deflection, and end up with the back of the car covered with exhaust soot. Chevy had a similar problem with the original Corvette tips, so they extended them and put the outlet on the bottom-

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thanks.
The Avinoes would be really cool but not for my car as I am keeping it original.
Here is my factory GT exhaust from Waldrons. Mufflers and resonators.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts