Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any luck with re-chroming the grills on the interior trim pieces covering the extractor sliding plates on 65/66 fastbacks.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Yeah, they can be re-plated. Local antique shops are usually good sources of small-parts plating outfits. However, I've been told that once you remove them from the fiberglass panel, they are a mutha to re-attach and will continuously come off and rattle.

G

·
It depends on how badly yours are pitted. I've been able to find panels with good chrome whenever I needed them.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Reattaching is not that difficult, but it requires custom flat head screws and washers. By this I mean, one would need to drill and tap the back side of the chrome pieces where the crush rivets were and used very short flat head screws (have to machine them down that short) with washers.

Also, Liquid Nails (home construction glue) is excellent at adhering the chrome to the fiberglass.

Regards,

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured it would require some drilling and tapping. I did not want to grind the rivet off and then find there is no room for this. Thought I would ask first.
Thanks for the responses

·
Registered
981 Posts
I had mine on the 68 rechromed and then reattached with silicone.the rechroming didn't turn out so great.but the silicone worked fine and no rattles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts