Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little overwhelmed by the amount of money being asked for rusted out fastbacks that are missing body parts, engine parts, and glass. I have seen a couple in the $9K area the last couple of days. Add this figure to an engine rebuild, body work, paint job, new interior and other miscellaneous parts and you have close to $30K invested, not to mention all the time to do the repairs. I understand that this is a hobby and such, but I cannot see spending the $30K to fix a rust bucket, when you can get a completed one in really nice shape for a lot less.

This is not to mentione the $2K that some people are asking for the fastbacks with no floors, engine, glass, interior. In some cses there is hardly a resemblence of a fastback left!

·
Registered
948 Posts
I missed the question in your post, but I understand what you are saying. No one here will tell you that there's profit in restoring a rust-bucket back to life, but for many, that's what makes the hobby fun. Some prefer to buy a completed car and enjoy it and there is nothing wrong with that either.

Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Was this a question or a rant? Welcome to the world of fastbacks. Your best bet is to pick the year/type of fastback you want, then buy one that is completed. You'll probably spend more re-doing a project car, but some people enjoy the hobby of doing the work. In any case, the price of projects, completed cars and parts has gone crazy in the last few years, just as with land and houses and.....

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Just clip off the roof line of a fastback, through the top of the trunk line on a 65/66, and you have a Coustback. Add an old title, and voila, FASTBACK. Buy a rear seat and odds and ends, and it comes in relativley cheap.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess i did not put the question in there, but you guys seem to see where I was going with it. I just cannot understand why people are paying so much for, please excuse this, pieces of JUNK!

K

·
0 Posts
For a second there, Javier I thought you were selling your FB. ::
So which FB will be on the road first?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Well I can't help you except to say that there is one just like you described in the Hershey area for $2500. 65 fastback, lots of rust, no drivetrain, no interior, no glass and a MD salvage title. Yes, I asked if it was a K. Owner didn't know, said no door tag and the buck tag was too rusted to read! Anyone interested in this jewel?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I recently "waded in" to the FB arena. For comparison purposes, I bought a 65FB2+2, about 90% finished for 13.5K. Actually, over the past 6 months I looked at several FBs in the area of 12-15K that would have been nice drivers that could be improved over time with a little bit of money and expertise. But, I do agree with you, the price of these beauties is way overboard. Marshall in Madison

·
Registered
69 Posts
63A Fastback, Standard 71,303
63B Fastback, Luxury 5,776
1966 63A Fastback, Standard 27,809
63B Fastback, Luxury 7,889

I think that these numbers tell it all. Total FB made = 112,777. If you figure that 20% are gone forever then only 90k still exist. You also have to look at the engine/trans combination. These cars have always been popular and are simply becoming harder to find. The coupe numbers are approximately 750k so the value is much less. Bottom line is that the cars are worth whatever someone will pay.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I've been hearing all the hupla about fastback prices for a while now, but I don't see it. In my area, '65-'66 normal fastbacks are going for very little more than I paid for mine over 6 years ago. I see what look to be nice fastbacks all the time for under 10k.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Also, "value" is a relative term, meaning how badly do you want it and how much are you willing to pay. Knowing that there is a limited supply and larger demand for these FBs right now should help you in deciding what you are willing to pay. Personally, it was a struggle for me. I quickly decided that I liked the 65 or 66 models more than the 67 and 68s, so I was able to narrow my search. Like you, I was horrified at how little car I could buy for 10K. But, I am going to invest over 3 to4K right away to start, so starting with a good driver quality FB at 15-17K would not be unreasonable. Marshall

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I am going to put the engine back in the 67 this week.

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
Michael,

Actually Ford built 226,397 fastbacks between 1965 and 1968. If you factor in the 69 and 70 cars the number jumps to 447,739.

I don't think the numbers really tell the story here. It is simply the fact that fastbacks are hot right now. Wait a few years and it will be verts again or somthing else.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I bought my Fastback about 15 years ago...during the last big spike in collector car prices. I paid about 2K for a car with no engine, trans, interior, etc. It took 10 years to fix the body (cowls, floors, etc,etc,etc) and replace every bolt, wiring, rubber part, suspension, etc. with correct items. Doing my own work (including the body work and paint), I have over 20K invested. Funny thing....most of the stuff would have had to be replaced even if the car was a drivable example. At least, I diddn't have to spend much time taking it apart.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I should have limited my numbers to 65-66 as those are the models I had in mind. I think that these cars have been more popular than the others and with the limited numbers the price is only going to continue to climb.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I dont think you want to know what I have in the fastback in the pic below. Give a hint I wish it was 12 to 15 k

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
So, that means that the supply of fastbacks might be drying up. I know what that means. Any minute now the coupes will go up too....
Yeah, right....

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
A good friend of mine recently sold his '65 FB. The body was a Shelby clone and done right! New floor pans and sealed good all over. All it needed basically was paint. It was a 4-speed, 9" posi and a decently built 302 (my old engine actually ;))

The first day the add came out he had like 12 calls. The first guy that looked at it wanted it but had to sell his '66 vert first. Second guy bought it. $11k. AND......that included a spare "K" code engine he got out of a parts car. The price also included lots of little finish parts too.

It was a smokin' deal!!!

Total calls on the ad.............50+.

We rarely see a FB for sale around here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts