Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched my tape of the Tuesday night edition of "Rides" last night. The featured car was the eBay FastForward '67 fastback as built by Rad Rides by Troy. The thing is, I thought the whole point of this project was to demonstrate the infinite virtues of eBay Motors for the old car hobbyist.

So what did we see? First they bought a '67 fb from an eBay auction. As I recall from stories being printed in the mags at the time of this project, they paid a little over $10,000. For that kind of money -- and in my book that's not a small amount for a hobby car -- they got a Minnesota (MINNESOTA?) car in desperate need of paint, and even running snow tires. But the worst was yet to come, when they pulled the engine and found the passenger shock tower and frame rail tweaked beyond repair.

So now they have to buy a donor coupe, cut out both cars' entire front unibodies, and swap the donor unit over to the $10,000 fb. So now they're into this project for $12,000 (AT LEAST), not counting labor, just to produce a usable rolling chassis.

The rest of the build included trashing the fb's motor in favor of a FRPP crate engine and Paxton blower (another $8000 or so). They claimed to intend to reuse all the interior bits and pieces, but there was also no doubt an additional $1000 in seat covers, carpet, dash pad, headliner, door panels, etc. (How many of these parts they actually scored on eBay is anybody's guess.)

The point being, that this show was a textbook example of why you DON'T want to buy a car off an eBay auction. Imagine if all you wanted was a driver, that you had no intent to send your '67 fb to Troy Trepanier for a $125,000 rebuild, and you handed over your hard-earned $10,000 for this chicken coop. Wouldn't you feel like God's own village idiot? I sure would.

K

·
0 Posts
My guess is you weren't watching when this was aired months ago. ::
Yeah we all agree with you assessment but its still a nice car. :)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never get the memo. :(

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Mike's right - this was talked about quite awhile back and it goes to show ONE thing - no matter WHERE you buy an old car (ebay, local classifieds, "friend of a friend", etc), if you DON'T do your homework, even those with money to throw around can get pretty hammered in "the deal". Obviously, the Ebay "guru" who decided to bid and ultimately outbid everyone else for this "gem" didn't have a freekin' clue what he/she was lookin' at. Guys like Troy Trepanier, Chip Foose, etc have been around cars MOST of their lives since kids and have been taught what to look for and ultimately, when its better to just cut the piece off and weld on a straight, rust free one. I am sure that if someone with ANY knowledge about Mustangs had looked at this car BEFOREHAND, not one penny would have been bid on it...

randy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts