On to starting to get body parts on. Before we did that we decided we wanted to weld torque boxes in because we decided if we didn't do it now it would never happen. My son says that this was the most brutal part of the build so far. Installed two piece boxes and it was a lot of hammering, cutting and welding to get them in and fit properly. But they are in and look good.
Here is the driver side with the first piece welded in. We coated the inside of the boxes with rust encapsulator before we got them together, then sprayed anti-rust inside after.
Passenger side box installed:
Once the torque boxes were in, we prepped the wheel wells before putting the fenders in. We discovered the passenger side did not have the headlight bracket welded in up at the front of the apron, so we ordered one of them and welded it in.
Then, two coats of rust encapsulator, lots of seam sealer, and two coats of Chassis black.
The doors are mounted now. Over the winter, we completely rebuilt the doors. Lot of work. Bought good door shells off of a guy on Craigslist. Sprayed the insides with two coats of rust encapsulator, then two coats of Eastwood flexible sealer and sound deadener. Started transferring things over from old to new.
Moved the latches over. Cleaned them up, lubed them, added all new bushings for the rods.
Ended up buying new vent window frames and weatherstrip and installing the original vent windows.
Got a complete weatherstrip kit, so that came with new tracks on the vent window frame, as well as new beltline weatherstrip.
Installed new "felt" in the tracks in the rear of the door. That was a horrible experience and I would not recommend it. Ended up ordering one new track because I was so unsuccessful in getting that felt installed because it is pre-adhesived and impossible to get installed in the track. Ended up tearing it as soon as I ran the window in it. I think the side I didn't get a new replacement for also tore, but not enough to snag the window, so I left it. I have another thread on here about that.
Also, another thread I wrote about the fact that the bottom frames of our windows were completely rotted out.
So, I ended up getting replacements from Glazier Nolan. Very nice used ones. You can see one in the pic above with the window track.
Then, we installed Power locks. Here is the actuator installed inside the door:
Also installed Power Window regulators from A1 Electric. Using the Window Crank switches and two relays in the door to run everything. Also added a wiring pigtail so the alarm system can roll the windows up automatically when the system arms.
Here is a pic of door installed, working on aligning gaps. The door was a bit high here. We ended up having to remove the striker and grinding down the opening in the jamb a bit to allow the striker to go a bit lower. That fixed this problem.
Aligning the doors wasn't too difficult. We bought new hinges so it was really just about sliding things about a bit until we got what we needed. The little bit of grinding of the striker was about all the tricks we needed.