Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I bought a tube of ARP assembly lube when I bought my rod bolts. Its thick stuff!

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
My choice is Red Line Assembly Lube. Used it on the rotating assembly, cam, lifters etc. Also threw in a pint of a GM product called E.O.S. (Engine Oil Supplement) with the oil for the cam breakin.

Used this process twice now and no problems. :D Even when I had a fuel delivery issue on my 331 and cranked it over more times than I wanted. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
I use STP oil treatment on the rings and cylinder walls and Lubriplate on everything else.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I use a product called Hy-Per Lube on the bearings and camshaft, and a 50/50 mix of that and Castrol 20W-50 on all the other parts - timing chain, valvetrain etc..

The rings and bores - NEVER dip the pistons in oil and install them (IMHO). the very first thing that happens at start-up is the oil flashes and sticks the rings in the grooves. After the bores are clean I wipe them LIGHTLY with oil, spray down the rings in the groves with WD-40 and install them in the bores.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I salute you all for not making any off color remarks about KY Jelly or Vasoline.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts