Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what everyone's favorite Mustang magazines and books are. I currently have a subscription to Mustang & Fords and since I just joined the MCA will be receiving the Mustang Times, I was just wondering, out of the many Mustang publications that are out there, which ones do you like and why?

Also, what are your favorite Mustang books? I thought this might help some people new to the hobby, those looking for Christmas gifts and some of us that have been around a while who like to read about our favorite cars.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I subscribe to Mustang Times, MM, M&F, Mustang Enthusiast, Muscle Car Review, and Hemmings Muscle Machines. Hemmings is by far the best although it doesn't always have a mustang in it.

As far as Mustang mags, I gues MM is the better, but it has gone down hill big time getting away from its 65-73 orginal-type cars and helpful how tos. Too general now with stuff that should be in M&F since it deals more with the restomod stuff. I'm not in to restomodding, but enjoy seeing reading about them in M&F. Both are owned by Primemedia.

Mustang Times had gotten better with the last couple of Editors, but with a new Editor, it has not been so good. For example, they showed n the last mag a 67 GTA convert that was basically and advertisement for three companies in Florida. Plus they have a 67 project coupe in the inset with no caption. Was the car a converted coupe, just another junk car on the premisis, or what. There were also errors in facts and grammar throughout the mag too (lots of facts erros in MM and M&F too). For example in that same article they say how the resoration business only does concourse work, but the car was not all concours.

Mustang Enthusiast is fairly new and started out as a good, different magazine, with a variety of years in coverage; however, it has gone down hill to IMHO. Now I see too much on stereos and drifting, and other late mode oriented stuff which is getting into 5.0, Super Ford and Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords territory and getting away from all generations.

I'll still subscribe to them all (except Mustang Enthusiast) because I enjoy the hobby and reading about Mustangs and that's all we have. I just wish they were all a little better.

As far as books, I like the Mustang Recognition Guide and Mustang Does it, but have dozens more.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hemmings Mustang Market & Tech Guide

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Ditto to marksrs list and opinions with the addition of "Popular Hot Rodding". I've just re-subscribed after about a 25 year hiatus. Its like a completely different mag - little drag racing, and nearly 100% restomod.

·
Registered
654 Posts
One to stay away from now that Christmas shopping is in high fever is a very large book with a red 70 Mach 1 on the front. I've seen two but the one I'm referring to is published in China. A lot of the cars are modified with no reference to that but the worst is showing a 66 interior that is for a 67, calling a 69 a 70, etc. To be charitable to the author, whose name escapes me, some of the errors may have occured because of language difficulties with the Chinese publisher. Having said that, however, there are far too many non stock cars for this kind of book. It looks like the author doesn't know his subject!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
The first book is Ford Shop Manual, of course. The second is Tom Monroe's How to rebuild small-block Ford.

After reading mags for over 10 years, the articles were starting to become familiar, that I haven't been so enthustiastic about buying every Mustang magazines. I have x number of winter storage articles, y number of speed issues about handling and so on. So, I buy them issue by issue depending whether there is something interesting.

What the others said about PHR. Vizard's articles still have something new info. PHR is also more into g-machine and not only drag racing as it was.

Another magazine I like very much is British Practical Performance Car, btw Vizard does nice write-ups for them, too. Of course, it's more about euro and jap cars, but the editor has Ford Capri with 302 and T5. A lot of useful stuff about FI and Megasquirt in special. And who can argue with staff cars that include a Rover SD1 with 27L V16.
http://ppcmag.co.uk/

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
to add to Arto's list -
Mustang & Ford Small Block V8, 1962-1969 - its about $25 and worth every cent as it shows the many changes during the years for the small block

http://www.fordsmallblock.com/

·
Registered
666 Posts
Mustang & Fords and Car Craft; I dont read books.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts