Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Dimples
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are too many great cars here to list, but I thought this might be a fun exercise.

There are numerous worthy mentions for me (Calamity Jane, 4ocious, The Evil Twin and the Rat Pack Boys to name a few), but if forced to pick a favorite, I have to say it's RyanSterling966's fastback.

There are a thousand tiny decisions that are sort of invisible and yet there's a custom touch everywhere you look. Between some truly unique interior bits like the tablet built into the console and exterior stuff like the hand made metal Shelby hood scoop, there is intention and craftsmanship poured all over this thing.

So what about you? Who do you think is doing it really right?

Hopefully these photobucket links work...

·
Registered
296 Posts
So right after posting some absolutely stunning photos of your car you ask everyone what their favorite VMF car they don't own is? Fishing for compliments?! :grin2:

Seriously, though: there really are too many to choose from. But I'd pick any of the put-together fastbacks from 65 or 66. I have an obsession with them. Yours, Kelly's, Ryan S's... any of them

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
I'll second Ryan's car or maybe zray's former FB. I'm really looking forward to seeing Dan Babb's build when it's done, gonna be wicked too.

·
Dimples
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So right after posting some absolutely stunning photos of your car you ask everyone what their favorite VMF car they don't own is? Fishing for compliments?! :grin2:
LOL, that is an absolutely fair observation. It wasn't conscious on my part, but I'll accept any criticism in that direction. I honestly expect that the flames knock my car out of contention for most people, which is fine by me. In fact, I'd be totally ok with my car being disqualified for this discussion, especially since I started it.

Really, I was just hoping that we could highlight some of the heroes on the forum. We are spoiled for choice here so we should crow about it. :grin2:

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
Nice choice Blake.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
As for my not mine favorite tough call dobrostang's car is a lesson in how car engineering should be and Huskinhano has all three cheap ,reliable, fast down to an art.
as far as out side our little group I'll have to get back to ya

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
WOW! A lot of nice one's to choose from and I am not sure I could pick a favorite. Ryan's is definitely towards the top of the list for me. Also have a very fond feeling towards DrStang's ride. The stance, the power, the color, all do it for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Honestly y'all I'm really really flattered by the appreciation. I almost didn't do a build thread until I got on this board and got so inspired and so much help and advice from other people doing it. It's just not my natural state, stuff like that just always felt self aggrandizing to me which I tend to shy away from.

But boy am I glad I did, I'm glad if it has helped or inspired anyone else, and I am grateful for those that have done the same. It really does help people out, there is no way I could have built that car and have it come out like it did without countless hours pouring through others thread and learning from the people here who came before me. I don't mean to soap box but seriously it's really the best way to pay things forward.

To that end, if I had to pick some....... There is the metallic blue 67 fastback, it's called like Venom67 or something..... It was a picture of that car that replanted the fastback seed in my head years ago.

I think Kelly's car is freaking rad because of it's pragmatic nature and how she uses it, makes me feel like that car is a happy dog that just wants to keep living life and I love it it's inspiring as hell.

I remember the vapor SEMA build that was done by roadster shop in 2016. that thing was next level clean, and I have been involved in my fair share of SEMA cars in one way or another. I have NEVER and I mean NEVER seen another car to that level of fit and finish. I am of the belief that perfection is an unattainable ghost you should spend a lifetime chasing but never really catching. THAT CAR "CAUGHT IT" HARD.

But honestly for me it's bits and pieces from a thousand race cars I've seen on track in Monterey and here on the boards. I learned gaps from Rusty Gillis' and MTF builds (honorable mention to Aslan the 3/4 shot of his car made me block my car that one extra time). I learned suspension from Sean and his SOT posts. I learned that these cars deserve to be used and seen from Kelly. I learned flames can and DO work on a mustang from BlakeTX and now I also want to steal his wheels and stance ;). Countless tidbits from Woodchuck, oh yeah and Dan's 65 fastback is breaking my heart at the moment. It makes me want to tear mine apart again so darn hard. That thing is gonna' be a slick machine.

another honorable mention...... whoever this guy is. I see him run every year up at Laguna Seca. And this thing is freaking amazing. It's the perfect balance of classic, modern, race car and build quality. If anyone knows the owner please tell him I'd like to buy him a beer.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Really hard to decide on just one, as there are MANY great ones here. I have always liked fastback65gt (Phil's) '65 fastback, although he doesn't own it anymore... :(

·
Registered
20,059 Posts
Oh, that’s tough, like asking which of your kids is your favorite. Dobrostang and 2nd 66’s cars are efficiency at their best. They make use of what’s available, drive them and thrash them. Kelly is no slouch. Works on her car and drives the daylights out of it as it’s meant to be. silverbluebp’s car is just bad azz. So many worthy choices.

·
Dimples
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@RyanSterling966. Super cool example in that pic. I think I’m seeing what you’re seeing, but I’m sure in person is a whole different story.

Really hard to decide on just one, as there are MANY great ones here. I have always liked fastback65gt (Phil's) '65 fastback, although he doesn't own it anymore... :(

The buckeyedemon '69 Mach 1. Ultimate engineering and craftsmanship packed into a stealth package.
Solid choices gentlemen. Exactly what I was hoping for. Please post pics if you have the time. If not, I’ll do my best to fill in the blanks.

Oh, that’s tough, like asking which of your kids is your favorite. Dobrostang and 2nd 66’s cars are efficiency at their best. They make use of what’s available, drive them and thrash them. Kelly is no slouch. Works on her car and drives the daylights out of it as it’s meant to be. silverbluebp’s car is just bad azz. So many worthy choices.
Every word of this is gospel. I love it.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Ha! It is cool to see Jane mentioned so many times. Out of all the very nice custom cars on the forum, Jane certainly does not look custom at all (because I built her to look like a dressed up stock car) and is nowhere near as fancy as a lot are, but I guess that's the point: Jane falls somewhere in the muddy waters between stock and modified.

I must say that I really drooled over the Evil Twin's '69 fastback the other day. Man, the flares, the stripes, the stance... stunning!

Back in the day before I ever bought Jane, when I was first looking at Mustangs, Phil's '65 fastback was one of my ideals. I thought that if I ever owned a car like that it would be just incredible. Hell, I went looking for Mustangs with the idea that I would build one to look just like Phil's (black/red) or to have the classic candy apple red/white stripes/black interior look. I just stumbled upon Jane and had to keep her that way.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
:grin2:Love Kellys because it is a nice build AND because it really travels.

Another honorable mention for me would go to @cbertke1965 because of it similarity to my own build, 65 FB with Coyote and T56 AND because he let me drive it!

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
One of my favourites is Beau M’s 68 coupe. I followed the build over the years, and thought it was such a well done car. Last I saw it has a 2JZ with a single turbo. I get folks have a hard time with a non Ford engine in our beloved cars, but it’s just too cool not to appreciate it

Attachments

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
A lot of good choices already mentioned and I couldn't agree more with them.

This car has always grabbed my attention. I really like the color combination and the I6 setup is just uber cool.

My shout-out goes to @Varilux

Just-a-Six

John

Attachments

·
Dimples
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One of my favourites is Beau M’s 68 coupe. I followed the build over the years, and thought it was such a well done car. Last I saw it has a 2JZ with a single turbo. I get folks have a hard time with a non Ford engine in our beloved cars, but it’s just too cool not to appreciate it
Good call. That car is super cool. Weird, but in all the right ways.

·
Registered
790 Posts
There are just way to many to list them all!!

I follow a lot of member build threads and you really get to appreciate all the hard work involved. They also give me ideas and helps me to keep motivated on my own car.

Couple in no particular order:

BuckeyDemon
ripped
Cape50
GT350H
Klutch
happystang(both)
Beau M
Kelley_H
BlakeTX
Rebel Racing
subpar63
RyanSterling966
Huntingky

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I have a large number of "Favorites" represented on this forum. When a particular car catches my eye, it is because it "speaks to me" at some level. By this I don't mean "best paint" or "best coupe", rather, as I lay eyes on a particular car for the first time, my eye scans from end to end and every line, every accent, every feature flows smoothly without interruption, a sense that everything about that car is there for a distinct purpose and nothing looks out of place. Sometimes it is a result of the original style, other times it is the craftsmanship of the work, sometimes it is a combination of the senses (sight, sound, smell, touch).

That being said, one aspect of this hobby that sometimes gets lost is that it is less about the cars and more about the people who build them, drive them, and enjoy them. No, I'm not going to suggest a group hug or break out in a chorus of "Kumbaya" Relax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts