Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear @all,

I'm looking for a complete FE 390/427/428 power train for a '67/'68 Mustang. I do need following components

-radiator

-complete engine including heads, oil pan, exhaust manifolds

-bell housing

-TopLoader 4-spd

-prop shaft

-9" rear axle

Who would be a good choice to get these components from (original, not after market)?

Thank you for your help!!

·
Registered
934 Posts
There are a few vendors that specialize in those parts, but they are very expensive. All those components come up on Ebay from time to time. That is where I would start. Is the car going to be concours?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@bigB427,

the conversion is going to be concours but the car itself won't because it's a C-code ragtop.

Or said in other words I'd like to have a big block convertible but not another '67 Mustang. So I like to change the complete powertrain.

I'm not looking for a stroker eingine, I'm looking for an original 390/427/428 that will be restored/rebuilt to factory specs.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@sixtysevenGTconv,

thank you for the hint. Yes the car is a M/T car with 4 spd TopLoader. It is nearly concours condition, driven occasionally. Have owned it since '90 when I bought it out of Wyoming.

The Ford-Nationals-in-Carlisle-PA-idea sound good. But my spring is already planned, there are some weekends booked for my AQH gelding. But I will keep your idea in mind...

Don't get me wrong, I am not looking for a quick project. It is more a 'second life' for my '67 after 20 years.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Joachim, you may want to try working on an FE Mustang befor making the swap. Doing ANYTHING on an FE is near impossible because of space. A plug change can take most all day. FEs leak oil with a vengence and can not be sealed. The added weight makes steering and handling a chore. Small block performance options will eclipse most any FE build. Small block cylinder head development is just that far advanced. That said, there is absolutley no advantage to an FE if not doing a concours restoration. None what so ever.
Should you still entertain the notion, avoid this joker at all costs. He has nothing you can't buy elsewhere at a fraction of his price.
Perogie Enterprises Home Page

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Joachim, you may want to try working on an FE Mustang befor making the swap. Doing ANYTHING on an FE is near impossible because of space. A plug change can take most all day. FEs leak oil with a vengence and can not be sealed. The added weight makes steering and handling a chore. [/url]
My 390 was factory so no changing that. However as far as plugs, Using Edlebrock FE aluminum hds with platinum plugs good for 100k miles, won't be swapping those out often. Plus using 3/8" swivel change all 8 within couple hours.

My 390 was prof rebuilt and the only small oil leak is rear intake. Nothing else in the 6 yrs I've had.
Has far as weight yes a bit more more however again using Edlebrock aluminum hds, you lighten up front end. Use an aluminum intake and front end gets even lighter. Beside if it's a weekend cruzer show type car then front end weight not a deal breaker anyway.

We all know small blocks can be built up for bigger HP, no question, but for me torque is most important for which 390 is known for. Mine was tested at 425 ft lbs torque and pulls just fine for me because I'm not interested in any racing.

It's all a matter of choice and what you plan to do with it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
What 22GT said! Could not agree more!
+1! Having had a 289 with C4, a 390 GT 4spd and now a not yet running 68,5 CJ.... big block all the way! =) There's nothing like the ground pounding torque of a big block. once you go big block you'll never go back ;) And changing plugs is no big deal if you have the right joints and extensions. Personally, I'd lift the engine. Makes changing plugs a joy and you can inspect your mounts while you're at it :)

J

·
Registered
35,866 Posts
Just for fun, here's another angle:

(p.s. This engine doesn't leak oil, either)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts