Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello My fellow Vintage mustang owners. I'm in a Bind here I am in the process of removing My 390 from my 67. I tried to remove starter can not get it out at all. :: I have the California Smog exhaust manifolds, the top of starter hits the manifiold. I jacked up one side of motor just a little does'nt work.I loosened tranny a little still not working. Does this starter possibly have three bolts. I removed two bolts cant possibly see how they would even be able to put three on there. I tried to remove exhaust manifold on that side I cant break the upper bolts loose either. I cant turn the motor over at all. I have a torque wrench on the crank bolt and a breaker on top of that and this motor wont budge, So I cant get my torque converter loose because I cant get to all the nuts. Some people have suggested pull motor with torque converter attached. I'm at a point now of pulling tranny and motor together. 1st question is can I pull the motor with the exhaust manifolds on. 2nd will it work with the tranny attached. 3rd I have tried to remove the heads all bolts are out I have a BFHammer and cant break the seal on them either I have exhuasted all my options :wall:. The motor sat for 21 years. I've coated the hell out of the heads with wd 40 and PB blaster. I need your help and tricks of the trade I know some of you if not all of you that have done your own work have Tricks So lets here them.Also any advise. Thanks Mike

·
Registered
246 Posts
The starter does have three bolts. You have to get it out with a long extenstion coming in from the front of the radiator support under the exhaust manifold. Get down and look from the front of the car with a light and you will see what I mean. You can remove the motor and trans together. I would jack up th rear of the car if you do both to make the angle better to get both out. If you have all of the head bolts loose and th intake off you might be able to wedge a bar into an intake port and give a little nudge to loosen the heads. good luck.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
IIRC the starter is secured with 3 bolts, the one you can't see is at the top of the starter. Best way to get at it is to use long extensions and come in from the front of the engine near the alternator and under the exhaust manifold.

As far as using a torque wrench with a breaker bar, don't.

As far as the engine being "stuck", 21 years may have resulted in things rusting together. I suggest pull the spark plugs and shoot some PB Blaster/ in there and let it soak and try again tomorrow.

If you're not too picky about dented shock towers, I suspect you could pull the engine with the manifolds attached provided you reattach the head bolts. Likewise I have read of others removing and installing the engine/trans as a single assembly but the car needs to fairly high up in the air (safety alert!!) for the tailshaft of the trans to clear the ground due to steep angles needed to clear the radiator support.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys. I rested a little bit calmed myself down and went back out side to try it again. I smacked the heads with a rubber mallet and hit the top of the valve springs lightly and I was able to get the heads off :). Low and behold the #1 and #5 cylinders were filled with water and rust like you wont believe :(. all the other cylinders look good. Still wont be able to turn the crank. Looked down by the starter and Yes you guys are right there are three bolts ::. pulled that out and removed starter. Thanks guys for your help.That starter was driving me crazy it was so loose but that one little area would not let it come out. Thanks Jeff for telling me not to keep prying on my crank bolt I would've just kept doing it because I was that mad. Mike

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Well since you now know about the starter, I'll speak to exhaust manifolds. Yes stock exhaust manifolds can be left on to either inside or remove engine. I did install my engine with stock 428CJ exhaust manifolds bolted on. I slide pieces of cardboard down the sides of each shock tower to protect. All went well but it is very tight. Did mine with an engine leveler, and no manual trans. attached.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your advise sixtysevenGtconv This will be how I re install the engine. Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts