Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am at the final stages of completing my now 4 year restore of a 72 Mach 1.

I installed a completely rebuilt 460 engine with headers and I am now ready to run the rest of the exhaust (dual).

Looking for a nice sound but not too loud! What is your experience and choices?

Thanks in advance!!

Tom

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
I have Magnaflows on my fastback and the sound is just right--it gets people's attention, yet you can hear inside the car.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I have Dynomax super turbos, nice rumble but not loud. Until you get on it hard then they sound almost like glass packs. when driving down the street they are quiet enough that you can hold a normal conversation inside the car.

·
Registered
403 Posts
When I bought my car it had flowmasters on it. I think they are way too loud. I need to change them or add mufflers in the tailpipe. My choice would be super turbo's.

Glenn

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I found that the choice of mufflers does not influence the sound inside of the car as much as going with headers ( too loud) and where the pipes exit and how... ( turndowns being more droney)

As for my choice, stock manifolds, 2 1/2 inch pipe back to series 40 2 chamber Flowmasters gave me a great sound and even though I have a 40% loss of hearing in both ears ( oh great here come the jokes :lol: :p) i can still hear my little boy in the seat next to me. I think it really has a lot to do with the choice of manifolds..

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
With such a stout motor, why not hooker maxflows?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Although my little 289 is no comparison to a 460, I have the same exact setup as NoLookingBack. Stock manifolds, 2 1/2 exhaust with 40 series delta flow flowmasters. It has an awesome rumble to them, and they are by far not the loudest of the flowmasters, but some may say that they are too loud for their liking. That 460 would probably have a whole different sound then my 289, so I have no idea.

·
Registered
436 Posts
From my own experience; On my 390 w/headers and X pipe, I ran MagnaFlows at first but they droned badly and were just too loud. Now I have a pair of DynoMax Super Turbos and they are much quieter and don't drone nearly as much.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have cheapie summit turbo's....3" in and out...with dumps before the rear axle. It's pretty quiet (i don't want quiet) other than a terrible drone at 1200-1500 rpm. I'm going to switch to a straight thru style muffler (dynomax race bullet or similar). It should be louder all around with out the drone. Also, the race bullet allows me to turn the exhuast and exit before the rear tires. (which will also help with the drone.) I run headers too.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
If you want to terrorize the neighbors, get Flowmasters.

If you want a good-flowing muffler that doesn't drone and doesn't cost too much, get the Dynomax.

If you have a bigger budget, get Borla Pro XS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts