Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this on ebay and it seems interesting but lacking of history. Barn find with a clean engine. The interior paint makes me wonder what is going on underneath it. What is the feedback from those who have done this for a while?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If it’s a barn find it’s had a lot of work done to it fairly recently. Contact him if interested and have him send you a copy of the Marti report. Verify if the correct drivetrain is there. Looks solid from my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
I have to laugh about statement " all original".
Aftermarket air cleaner, the wheels are 68 wheels. If the black deluxe interior is orig, why red steering wheel?
A universal upper radiator hose, why?
If a true S code with automatic, be called a GTA.if it had PIO gt package

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Saw a repainted floor, but no photos of the underside?

·
Registered
503 Posts
The car appears to be solid but the pictures aren't overly detailed and there are no pictures of the underside, so I'd be weary of that. It's nice to see floor pan pics but that coating sorta looks like a lizard skin or similar, which can hide all sorts of sin. It's had body work since there are no badges on the front fenders. It does have the double sheet metal at the rear below the seats, which I'm pretty sure denotes GT. So that's good. I thought GT's had real export braces too but could be wrong. My 67 GT 390 had a real export brace but it was an actual export car, so it's not a good data point. It has the louvered hood, which is part of the exterior decor group but it's missing the nearly everything else that was apart of that package, like the wheel opening moldings and the flip down gas cap but it has one piece left of the deck lid molding. It's also missing the rocker moldings, which came standard on fastbacks. It's obviously been primered and/or sealed, so who knows what's hiding underneath.

The 390 doesn't look like it's from a mustang. The oil breather comes out of the intake manifold instead of in the valve covers. I'm fairly certain the 390 GT's came with the chrome powered by ford valve covers, which are long gone. The engine is freshly painted, which is a potential bad sign. The ignition coil is mounted to the wrong spot, they would usually have been mounted to the intake. My hunch is the engine is from a different car or truck. Also notice there is no fastener holding the air cleaner on. The fan shroud is missing. It's missing the heater hoses and vacuum hoses, so it's obviously not running.

Well, those are my observations.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I would also ask where the barn was that this was found. I know he’s in California and if it was indeed in California, then you can probably sleep a bit easier about any serious rust issues underneath. I agree with asking for the Marti report. If the motor and trans are original then go ahead and pull the trigger. I agree that it is missing some things, but what car isn’t? As long as the important things are there, the rest can be sorted out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If it truly was a barn find,they should have left it as such instead of screwing it all up with rattle can engine paint/engine bay and a primered body. Lord only knows the bodywork under that.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Hmm...we may never know.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
29k for a project? You have to ask yourself...

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
My $.02
1. yeah, correct VIN for a San Jose car, but missing emissions equipment (no evidence of mount for air pump, intake manifold looks incorrect).
2. x2 on the incorrect engine (original? Doubtful). Wrong air cleaner (expensive to find correct one), wrong coil mount, missing emissions vacuum lines/ports and heater hose 'extension' at water pump (to clear the air pump). Early '67 S-Code had "plain" chrome valve covers (no "Powered by Ford").
3. Looks like seller just slapped in some existing interior parts (I would bet they are not even bolted). That incorrect steering wheel is expensive/hard to replace. Console? Headliner?

So I surmise it is NOT a "barn find" but a project someone started and discovered a fatal flaw after doing sheet metal work and before it could be driven. Trans, engine and axle condition are unknown. I be veeerrryy leary of any claims seller makes at this point!
Note: My CA car has original sheetmetal - but was not in a barn ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts