Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. This post of mine does have anything to do with classic Mustangs. I am contacting you all to see if you know of any website that deals with workplace issues. I have a problem at my workplace that I do not know how to find a solution for. I have blocked myself into a corner, so to speak. Please, I need your help. Is there any website out there that gives advice to people that work for a living? Please help me. Tallyho.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Try the National Labor Relations Board, an executive agency of the U.S. Govt. www.us.gov then follow the links (I think this does it). Also, try your state or county govt. for a labor commission. A lot depends on what state you live in. I suspect you said something, or did something and the consequences are scary. You might have to bite the bullet and see a lawyer - employment law. YOu might look for a legal clinic for inexpensive advice. Also, some lawyer referral services - state or county - have an agreement with the lawyers where if you use the referral service you get a 1/2 hr. consult for a minimum fee, like $50. NOw if you are a member of a protected class - able to take advantage of the Americans with Disabilities Act, or a racial, religious, or gender minority class, etc., you might be able to intimidate management on that basis into giving you another chance. Anyway, some states have employment at will statutes, meaning you can be fired without cause. Other states say it depends on the employer's established policy and procedure. You might want to get ahold of your employer's wrtten book of policies (usually can be inspected in human resources dept) to see what their policies are with regard to termination. If they have a written policy, then they can be legally held to follow it, even if the state law otherwise would let them fire without cause. For instnace, some employers have a policy of putting an employee on an employee improvement program for 90 days before they can be terminated, unless the employee poses a threat to the safety of fellow employees. The WORST is if you are a California State employee in your first year of service. This is a "probation" period in which you have NO rights to employment and can be terminated, even if you are doing the job, merely if the boss doesn't like the kind of toothpaste you use. Not very good.

good luck.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
These issues can vary from state to state. Check your local state laws. For instance here in PA the basic rule for employment is "at will". Which in simple terms means that an employer can release you whenever he wishes and you can leave whenever you wish. As long as there is no employment contract (like a union agreement, or an individual contract).
So, perhaps some more info would help you get some insight.
Oh, and please fill out your profile.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi. I am a member of an unprotective class-white Christian straight male of the Northern European race.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Ouch! any post-traumatic stress symptom, gulf war symptom? prior incidents showing your employer should have known you are under psychological stress or otherwise under an obligation to provide you counseling options? hmmm. doesn't look good. When I get in real trouble at work, I tend to crawl an abject humility around the boss, being the perfect company man, until they forget about me. Still leaves a scary feeling in the pit of the gut. When you are younger with transferable job skills and no resonsibilities, it's a little easier to walk away from it. Not so with a family. good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts