Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 65 car are the hood letters and fender letters re-useable or will they need to be replaced after a repaint ?
also the 289 and GT emblems
Just want to know if I need to be ordering these parts ahead of time...

·
Premium Member
6,084 Posts
If you're happy with their condition they can be reused, especially with new plastic barrel nuts that insert into the metal After paint

·
Premium Member
6,785 Posts
The attaching posts on repop letters and emblems may not be located exactly as originals were leaving them askew (wonky looking) or requiring some alteration to the existing drilled holes. I'd reuse the ones you have if at all possible. Alternatively some repop emblems are available as stick-ons and many go that route and recommend it.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
They're not really a nut, but i guess theyre called tube nuts? Its a little sleeve like clip that fits into the hole in the fender or hood
and the stem of the letter or emblem pushes into them.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
where would one get "plastic barrel nuts" ?
Metal ones are available at NPD, I have never used plastic. Repop pin locations seems to be all over the map, very few I have seen are correct.
Also measure the pin diameters before you order, they come in different sizes.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so would these be used on the F O R D letters on the hood as well ?

·
Registered
390 Posts
My suggestion to a if they are original then keep them. If you don’t want to keep them send them to me. Aftermarket can be hit or miss

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So would there "barrel nuts" on the hood ?
There doesn't seem to be a lot of room on the hood.
And I'm not sure if the letters and emblems are original as the previous owner had restored the car 20 yrs ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts