Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!
For the first time in a very long time, I now have a Mustang with a really nice (and fresh) paint job that leaves me worried about leaning over the fender without adequate protection for the paint! (This is a good problem to have, I know, but it is a problem ;-) )

I am looking for recommendations for a high quality fender cover. I have heard about covers with a removable/washable soft liner and padded magnets to hold the cover in place. Possibly in three sections for both fenders and the across the core support/grille.

I have been searching and coming up empty handed - can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
NPD has a few different styles- I used one for a while but I noticed it promoted (for me anyway) bad habits- such as laying a part or tool there- just for a second - and its covered- (yeah but bad idea) and worse- letting my elbow touch the top of the fender- usually when i was tired- but still- I know better than to do that- so Fwiw-

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Haha I just saw the bath towels thing- actually you can use them- u just gotta make them disappear afterwards- No evidence= no problem

·
Registered
444 Posts
I worry about putting anything on my fenders as well. I just can't get behind most fender covers that have a vinyl backing. At some point, dirt is just going to pushed into it and cause scratches...maybe small scratches, but that's not acceptable to me.

I much prefer using a soft towel that can be washed. I hold it in place with a couple magnets and call it good.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use our old bath towels(held by magnetics) just to lean over the fenders and never place any part or tool on it.I use an old tool cart to place my items on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get some good quality masking tape, put on sharp edges of fender. Go down to local second hand store and grab a few soft blankets. Don't forget to remove tape promptly after work is complete. Clean, soft blankets will not hurt the flat areas, tape will protect edges from minor abrasion if blankets shift. Wear sweat pants or something that has no button, and no belt buckles. In a pinch, tuck rag in to belt draped over pants button and wear belt with buckle to your rear

·
Registered
663 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
An old blanket, cut in half, qtrs, works well enough for me. My paint is not that nice, just need something. Towels just feel more abrasive.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I got a set off the truck a year or two ago. They're thick, padded, have a padded magnet and a soft backing. I went to get another set last month and they no longer have that style. They were made by Whiteside in the US, branded Snap On. Matco still has a similar one.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all for the input!
Lots of great ideas!

Soft towels/blankets seem like the answer for right now

Here is a link to the cover I had originally heard about, and was trying to find - a friend of mine has a set and was able to get me the brand name:
Netcore's Fender Covers Don't Fall Off or Cause Damage!

I emailed for a quote for a 65 Mustang and they quoted about $550 delivered, they seem like a great product, but I am not sure they are that great...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts