Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I finally received my baby today off the back of a flatbed. Shipped from SoCal to my new home across the sea.
Turns out they put a major dent in my fender and I'm pissed and very sad. I just had it fully painted before shipping it!

Anywho, I'm handy and did some mechanical work. Electrical too, no big deal. But I'm not at all a body man. Is this something I can easily "pop" out? And how much f*ckery is needd to re-align the body panels?

Insurance is surely going to make my life hell to fix it and I'm not even sure I'll find a place around here that will do it for less than an arm and a leg =(

Help?
TIA
DrC

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,744 Posts
I’m seeing a lot more than just fender damage.

·
Super Moderator
9,744 Posts
Looks like the door and lower trim strip is dented and missing also, or is that just shadowing?

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the whole trim rail thing was ripped off and put inside the car. Dent wise it's the lower fender that was pushed in and the corner ripped up and out. It seems the fixation hook that was secured to the suspension was either ripped off forcefully or got hung up on rmeoval and caught on the fender.

If you look at the closer pic you can see the bottom fender bolt that is supposed to be facing the floor, pointing slightly upwards, but shouldnt even be visible. It's not street legal yet, so I cant tell if the suspension /alignment is f'ed yet.

The black stipes are 2 sided tape the body shop used to keep the chrome panel thing in place since it's the cheap repop aluminum replacement. But even the body pin that hold it in place is bent and pointing upwards. So the trim was ripped off...

The door seems to be OK. Opens and works fine. It's more the fender is bent up. It's actually pinching the windsheild trim on the corner.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
wouldn't the shipper have insurance for this?

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I paid for insurance. Now is when we find out how good of a shipping company I've chosen.
West Coast Shipping. Up until today they were doing great. Hope it stays that way. But it's never worry free, right? I'll take it somewhere if it's not simple to fix. But my experience with the paint guy was, he did great at the paint, but a bunch of **** was put back together incorrectly. But he was the best I could afford (6K for a whole car paint job) and came recommended from the local classic car shop.
-DrC

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,869 Posts
I’m seeing a lot more than just fender damage.
He is right, there is something going on with the body line on the bottom of the door. Perhaps the shop did some filler work there but the line very pretty crooked. The fender must be pretty tight to the hood as well. The fender will have to come off to fix it correctly. Hopefully the process won't be too painful to get fixed.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Pop your hood, the flange your fender bolts onto the apron is going to be bent up as well.

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's my reply from the company owner. So far so good.

Hi Roger,

Sorry to hear this and upsetting to see this. The car was in fact perfect.

I can tell you that it was loaded and shipped without any issues on our side.

We will immediately start our investigation where and how this could have happened

I will revert within 24 hours and inform you than

Thanks
Alex

·
Super Moderator
9,744 Posts
Here's my reply from the company owner. So far so good.

Hi Roger,

Sorry to hear this and upsetting to see this. The car was in fact perfect.

I can tell you that it was loaded and shipped without any issues on our side.

We will immediately start our investigation where and how this could have happened

I will revert within 24 hours and inform you than

Thanks
Alex
So where does he think the damage came from if not the loading or shipping,.....the unloading?

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,869 Posts
I took a closer look at what looks like a crooked body line on the door and fender. My bad, I just realized it's most likely just a reflection of the side rails on the flatbed or trailer.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
If I'm seeing it correctly, it looks like the door is ok (those reflection will throw you for a loop) and it's the fender that's dented at the bottom as well as pushed up.

It also looks to me like something is going on right where the front valance and the fender meet (at the bumper) but I will defer to Brian on that...

Allen

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the comments. I've found a couple classic car restoration places locally that will be quoting me once we come out of lockdown.
I'll be doing a more thorough inspection this weekend. I'll also clean out the lines from the old gas and get it running again. I sure hope it doesnt have suspension damage, but either way I'm optimistic they will pay for damages.

Fingers crossed. With the shipment of all my household goods I got screwed. They broke 2 of my monitors the [email protected]@rds. But then claimed my insurance paperwork was not complete, my deductuble was more than the damages and I got screwed.
sigh Moving was easier when I didnt have anything to loose....

-DrC

·
Registered
381 Posts
The shipper should have done a walk around before loading the car, documenting any issues on the car. The same thing should have been done upon unloading using the documentation from when the car was loaded. No brainer....car was good when loaded, car was dented when unloaded. Shipper responsible, closed case. This was done by my shipper when my 66FB was shipped from NY to Florida.

·
Super Moderator
9,744 Posts
I took a closer look at what looks like a crooked body line on the door and fender. My bad, I just realized it's most likely just a reflection of the side rails on the flatbed or trailer.
Think you’re right.

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The shipper should have done a walk around before loading the car, documenting any issues on the car. The same thing should have been done upon unloading using the documentation from when the car was loaded. No brainer....car was good when loaded, car was dented when unloaded. Shipper responsible, closed case. This was done by my shipper when my 66FB was shipped from NY to Florida.
Yup, and i have all the paperwork to show it. TBH I'm hoping the damage was done in France since then I'm sure there will be a pretty straightforward insurance process. No across borders nonsense.
DrC

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So after an in more depth inspection it seems there was no further damage beyond the cosmetic. Fender bender and that's it. Anyone see something out of place in the suspension?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts