Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I really doubt anything could have happened to the suspension.

Dents don't really just 'pop' out and unfortunately that's a real bummer of a spot for one because the fender inner structure is welded right to the back of it, which means that would have to be removed for a shop to do their bump work, unless they use a slide hammer with weld on rivets.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would replace the whole fender. Unless you are in to originality, that body work will take quite a few hours of labor. Then there are the other issues.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I would never, ever give up a perfectly good original fender for an otherwise small dent like that. Aftermarket sheet metal just sucks.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I would never, ever give up a perfectly good original fender for an otherwise small dent like that. Aftermarket sheet metal just sucks.
Absolutely. Keep the original panel and that dent will pull out easily with a spot puller. A decent body shop will be able to pull that out in no time.

And once the dent is pulled out, they should easily be able to work the fender to stop it sitting too high and make it line up with the door. It might even relax back into shape once the dent is fixed.

This all looks very easy for a competent body shop.

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm cautiously optimistic y'all are right. My hopes are a decent body shop, pop it out, paint it over and we're done.

The suspension damage fear I have is because it's not uncommon (i saw them do it to other cars) to use the suspension as a fixation point when securing the cars in the container for shipping. Sometimes they used the rim, sometimes the suspension. Given the damage, it's possible it happened in transit and therefore would have been quite the jolt... alignment issues at least, suspension damage at worst.

Anywho, found a local shop specializing in classics. Hopefully wont be an arm and a leg.

thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice car , really nice. You have a good taste. Honestly I was trying to find the same car for me and it took me a lot of time to find it. In the end I decided to buy another one, I direct my sight for a Camaro SS 1969. This car was my dream since I was 10 and now I want to make my dreams come true. To cut it short, I've found a couple of great options but I have to ship the car if I will buy it. So to say, I am very new in this type of services, and I have no even a single idea how and what are the main things that I should take in the sight when we are speaking about car shipment. Glad that I was able to find this great article that told me all that I've should knew by myself. I would really recommend this article for everyone who have to ship his car. By the way, the link to the article is here www.Shipaa.com

21 - 26 of 26 Posts