Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I finally got around to doing some glass beading. After finishing one of my headlight buckets (67) I noticed a small crack near the front that will be hidden when installed. My question is how do I fix this so that it doesn't get worse. Anyone use J.B. Weld? Any comments?

Thanks
67 V8 Coupe (under restoration)

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I had a similar problem on my '65. There is a flange on the 65 headlight bucket on the inner upper edge, where the bolt (one of 4) attaches to the fender. What I did was installed a large fender washer that fit snugly against the 1/4-20 bolt. Without the washer installed, the headlight bucket hung out too far, and the edge fo the bucket hit the underside fo the hood. Installed the fender washer and all is well.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Registered
464 Posts
At the swap meets is a vender that sells a product called muggy weld. They have rods for aluminum and pot metal and it is applied with heat from a propane torch. I have used it to repair a couple of headlight buckets and a gt headlight bar. It is stronger than the base metal and I have had very good results with it.It costs 30.00 for 3 sticks and the flux and they give you a # to call if you run out.It would be helpful though to watch them at the meets to see how its done.
scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts