Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 6cyl Ford Mustang convertible assembled at Dearborn MI in February 1965.
The Left fender is stamped with a triangle and 2 01 D3 on top.
The Right fender is stamped 6330 D? on the top and in two sections towards the rear stamped 5 27 2D and 5 27 D2?
Would these be original factory stamped fenders. Are these fender numbers supposed to match for left and right?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
Yes, those are factory fenders. The left side was stamped Feb 1st in Dearborn on the 3rd shift. The right side was stamped May 27th in Dearborn on the 2nd shift. There are 3 pieces of sheet metal that make a complete fender and each piece has it's own stamping code. I don't know what "6330" means but since the other 2 pieces are May 27th it is safe to assume the 3rd piece was also stamped that day. The right fender is obviously not original to the car.
Here's a decoder. Scroll down for sheet metal codes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks to confirm that. Both fenders look about the same age.
Would it be possible that my car was assembled in Feb 65 with a May 64 right factory guard that was only available at the time?.

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
Ford was building Mustangs as fast as they could crank them out. It is extremely unlikely that somebody found a fender that had been stamped in May of '64 hidden in a broom closet or swept under a rug as your car was going down the assembly line in Feb of '65.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I don't know what cost saving the number crunches at ford would have considered as production increased between mid 64 and early 65. I would imagine they would have had a spare parts division to coincide for that many cars? I guess the right fender came off another car with factory numbering for May for what ever reason some time after.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts