Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I don't believe the undercoating deadens any sound, it's just to protect the metal from flying debris since they're right by the tire. I put undercoating on as well, not sure how well it works under normal application because my car isn't on the road yet, but I can tell you, that stuff stays on good, of course it will leave that "rough" finish. If you want a smooth finish but optimum protection of your metal, I'd use tractor enamel. I swear by it and I know a few others do as well. It's incredibly thick and it practically takes a grinder to take it off. Think about it, how many tractor's do you see around that still have their original paint(maybe faded, but still original)? Well, I see em all the time, but I live in the Midwest where it's not at all odd to see a combine driving down the road.

·
Registered
758 Posts
snake skin is supposed to deaden sound and insulate. Its expensive. there is a home formula (much cheaper), I saw it talked about here recently, do a search. never thought about it protecting the metal... I guess if a rock got toss off the tire it could dent the metal?? I wasn't going undercoat the fender, but now?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I don't know that it's suppose to keep from denting as much as the fact that if it were just painted and a rock hit it, it would definitely chip the paint which would lead to rust, but with undercoating, not the case.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I've used it on the inside of small boats. Some of the guys around here spray it on the bottom to protect their hulls while sliding over rocks. It's very tough, however it is very expensive! It appeared to me that he had undercoated > soundproofed > sound deadening panels. Heck, I don't know....... I think it looks like #212? Is that Randy?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Sir_Strongbad said:
I read somewhere that you can use spray on bed liner. Seems like it would work.

Has anybody tried that?
I used it in a trunk & on the inner fenders on a 68. Looks real nice, hard to. $50. if I remember. Easy to spray.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
If you do go with undercoating, get the stuff from Wal-Mart, it worked great. I got some stuff from Auto Zone and it bubbled up really badly and just kind of gooped all over, looked awful. The brand Wal-Mart carries gave me a nice even look.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i just use the spray can undercoating on mine. 1 can will cover 1 fender but it will be a kinda thin coat. let it dry and then go over with another can. looks great and works well! dont use the cheap stuff though, it gets soft in the heat. i used the high temp undercoating on mine and worked well.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Apparently I'm not on the same page as you guys. It appears the truck bed liner you're talking about comes in a spray can? I've never seen that, sounds interesting though. The product I spoke of earlier is a 2 part polymer and cures tougher than a paint type coating. The company that produces this product specializes in Polymer based industrial coatings, and it goes on fairly thick.

http://www.speedliner.com/

J.R.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I saw on one of those Spike car shows a product (bed liner) that you spray right out of the can. You buy it in gallon cans with wide mouth lids on them. You can also buy a sprayer for it. You dunk the pickup tube into the can and go to town.

On the car they were doing, two guys worked simultaneously. Each had a can and sprayer. They undercoated the whole car while it was on a rotisserie.

I don't recall if you have to mix in a little catalyst or something or not.

I think you get it at NAPA.

FWIW, I am seriously considering undercoating my car with this stuff.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Not very clean, that stuff will stick to just about anything, but I would be safe anyway. All I did was took a rag soaked in wax & grease remover and wiped the area down good, then go back over it with a dry rag before it dries.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
3M makes a good product, I would imagine it works just as good as anything else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts