Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen or installed the FI Tech system with the new stand alone high pressure feed system. The new “tank” is fed by the mech pump, and then to the throttle body.

Thinking that this may be the direction I go to install fuel injection.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That’s what I have I keep the fuel command center in my trunk and run a high volume mechanical pump to keep it full runs great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
I have the original FiTech setup but with an in-tank pump. I would suggest looking at the Holley Sniper if your looking at a TBI EFI solution. I see no advantage of a whatamcallit stand alone high pressure whatever over just running a 3/8 line from a factory style tank with an internal high pressure fuel pump to the TBI and using the 5/16" original fuel line as a return line. Much less to go wrong IMO.

The reason they keep on updating these retrofit fuel center kits is because in many instances they don't work very well. The in-tank pump has been pretty common since the mid seventies.

I just noticed that they moved the sensitive electronic bits from the TBI to a remote location in the latest incarnation. Sucks to me me!

Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've got the FItech with the Holley in tank returnless fuel pump and 3/8" fuel lines. Working fantastic so far.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,484 Posts
I've got the FItech with the Holley in tank returnless fuel pump and 3/8" fuel lines. Working fantastic so far.
I have a mildly built 1987 5.0 & I am thinking running the FiTech #-30003. I already have a new fuel tank with a in tank electric fuel pump. Which FiTech unit are you running?.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Helped a buddy install FiTech but with a different fuel commander unit on his Bronco. Easy install. Seems to be working good.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a mildly built 1987 5.0 & I am thinking running the FiTech #-30003. I already have a new fuel tank with a in tank electric fuel pump. Which FiTech unit are you running?.
I just have the base FITech 400 HP unit without the timing control. I have a Mallory dual point distributor with the internals replaced with a Petronix ignitor and coil.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You might also look at the Edelbrock Proflo 4. Mine worked perfectly out of the box. I purchased it from Summit for $1600 and change on sale. I'm running a 5.0 with Edelbrock heads, a Trickflow Stage One Cam, Roller Rockers and Hooker Long Tube headers. Performance has been excellent, especially compared to the archaic 91 Mustang GT unit it replaced.

·
Registered
1970 Sportroof Mustang Grabber Value Package
224 Posts
I bought my 70 last May, it already had the Go Street 400 with the earlier fuel command center feed by the original mech fuel pump, PO did run a separate fuel return line anyway. I have had no issues with it so far. Not sure which way I would have installed it if I had to do it myself.
20200201_093152.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
I’m surprised Holley and FiTech aren’t investing in sefi like how Edlebrock is. I did a lot of research on all these kits. I wouldn’t run any of the TBI efi kits. Proflow or stock Ford efi from a fox is what I would do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts