Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the people who made the jump have you noticed better gas milage ?

gotta justify to the boss why i need it hahhahaaa

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Did not see any MPG for the better.
Maybe I have been running it a little harder than before.(testing)

Yea, running it harder for testing purposes that's the excuse. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
MPG have not gotten any better. Not quite sure if the exhaust fume is that much better either but my engine is tired so maybe that's why it's not noticeable.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,590 Posts
From what I've seen, throttle body EFI will only increase your mileage if your carb wasn't tuned right to begin with. I saw maybe a 1mpg increase when I swapped to my Powerjection system. A well-tuned carb on a stockish motor (one that shouldn't be hard to tune) will do just as good of a job at maintaining the "right" air:fuel ratios as a throttle body will. Other types of injection may be a different story (no experience with those).

I consider EFI's greatest benefit to be the "set it and forget it" nature (for those who are interested in that) and its reliability for fuel delivery. It doesn't care how crappy the gas is, how many mountains I've gone up today, how hot it is, nothing. There have been times when I've had gas audibly boiling in the tank and the car still hauls along just fine, patiently waiting for me to fix the actual source of the issue (I did). Not having to worry about vapor lock or stuck floats or rejetting is the real benefit to me.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
If you are thinking about getting EFI to get a big increase in mileage don't get it. Just the price of the EFI until and everything else needed to install it will not be worth the cost benefit or return on investment.

Like Kelly_H indicated if you want better reliability, better ability to handle altitude and temperature changes then EFI fits the bill. Get it for those reasons, but not to get 1-2 mpg more. I'll get off my soap box now. :wink:

Reactions: GTxpress

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
1k or more for EFI will buy a lot of gas. Even if your carb is poorly tuned and you daily drive your Mustang, it could take years to recoup your cost. However buy one if you want it; we won't tell the boss ;-)

david

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've seen at least one seller advertise an 8% increase in both horsepower and fuel economy. So if you were getting 12 mpg, with Fitech you'd get a little less than 13 mpg. I intend to do it because it will start right up, self tunes and doesn't have that crappy automatic choke- that's enough for me. My car doesn't get driven much so I'll appreciate that it starts like a modern car.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
I too am on the fence with the FiTech EFI system as it's definitely not cheap . I have a 351w with 450hp/tq, a holley 650 ultra double pumper carb and so on. Right now I'm having no issues with the Holley carb... if I had any gripe about it I guess it would be that it has the definite gasoline smell and takes a little time to warm up before driving. The car is quick and snappy though and was chassis dynoed 3 years ago and I've since done nothing to the carburetor in any way. I've heard different results from going the EFI route, some gain 10hp and 1-2mpg and then others gain 40+hp and get 5-10mpg more. Part of would love more hp and fuel economy and without having to worry about dealing with my carburetor down the line should it fail and go with the FiTech but then the other part of me thinks that I could spend $1k+ in other, better ways if I only saw minimal improvement with EFI and since the setup I'm running now works quite well. I must say I was impressed with the Holley carb though in that I took the mustang for a road trip last summer over Stevens Pass which is at 4062' above sea level and I had no sputtering, bogging down or anything close to it. Drove just like it would at sea level

1 - 11 of 11 Posts