Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a local is selling a 3.5" fiberglass cowl hood. I have heard of fiber glass warping, as well as fit and alignment problems with these hoods. Also what will need to be changed as far as sprng and latches go? Will i have to just remove hinge srpings and go with a prop rod or is there another way. Use all the same latches? Also want to put in hood pins, any problems drilling through fiberglass (pretty sure a no, but just checking)

alot of questions, answers to any are appreciated
thanx

·
Registered
630 Posts
there are alot of options with a fiberglass hood.

Light tension springs will be needed so that it wont warp the hood and you can keep your latch with adding hood pins. Or you could lost the springs and get a prop rod.

I would recommend using hood pins so that your hood does not smash into your windshiled and fold over your roof :p
...Or it flies off and gets hit by the guy behind you. (it happened to one of my dad's friends before.)

If it were me I would take out the OEM springs, and add light tension springs (you can find these at any mustang resto-catalog)... I would also keep my stock latch and add hood pins.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
perfect, exactly what i needed
thanx for the quick response

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
An alternative to the low tension springs is installing a hood prop. It a small hassle but I'm used to hood props since I also own the original Fox chassis Ford.

On a previous fastback I also used the hood latch hardware and the secondary catch. I recommend hood pins too since I didn't use them and saw how much the hood flopped
around while driving on the highway. When drilling the holes, after double checking where the center of the bolt will go, start with a small drill bit size (1/8" - 1/4") and step up in drill bit sizes until
you are at the correct size hole. I believe a metal plate hides the hole any way but I'm a nut for neatness (or I try to be! LOL).

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
890 Posts
Come on...just say the name of the business... ::

Is it Mustangs Plus, Maier?

Anyway- I "HAD" a cowl hood from M------- P---, and it was, im trying to be nice, a litlle "unfinished. Let me just say that the bodyshop laughed when they saw it. Besides not fitting right, the front right would not close all of the way, the cowl cut-out at the windshield was hacked, and the overall quality just sucked.

It would have taken so much work that I sold it and bought a stock hood.

Just so I dont get yelled at, I am not saying that every hood they sell is a POS, just the one I got probably... ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is just a local guy selling it. He is going with a 377 stroker and a blower, all that wouldnt fit under the hood so he is selling it off rather than hackign it up, or so he says. Its 200 dollars, sound like a deal to anyone?

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
Any glass hood you get is going to require work. The price of hood's varies quite a bit, but they all require work to fit your car. Go with the light springs and hood pins or locks. Some of the hood pins / locks require your original hood latch. Some hood will warp, when you park the car release your pin's and latch to take the pressure off the hood. What's the hood worth? Have no idea, depends on the mfg. I am still doing work to my hood and to get the seal from the motor compartment, It wont be ready for a while yet.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got a lot of good info on what to look for from stroked66

thanx for all the other advice im gonna email the guy with soem more questions

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
Yep, Ken has a lot of experience on glass hoods and he has helped me a lot. He also is a great guy ::. He helped me in making my choice on the hood. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts