1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Is all this stuff repop, or a mix of repop and origianal?
Add some glass where you need it and sand (longboard) to fit.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
ha... quarter panel extentions. every mustang restorers nemisis. let me tell you, go look at the most beautiful shelby you can find at any car show and i bet you that the endcaps fit as bad or worse than yours. these things just plain do not fit. none of them do, every friggin mustang out there has endcaps that don't fit. If you're determined to make them fit, you can build it up with fiberglass and sand it down til everything lines up really nice, or just deal with it. nothing is wrong, they just suck.

- Jason

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
You're dealing with the typical problems of fiberglass parts. On my fastback, we spent a lot of time fitting the end caps. We achieved a perfect fit after hours of building up and sanding down. It's worth it in the end.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I had to use some "all metal" for my 65 pot metal end caps after replacing the quarters, there was a 1/4 inch larger gap. As previously stated, fill with appropriate material and final finish until you get sick of sanding/filling/priming/sanding/filling/priming. See, it will never be perfect, you just eventually settle for "thats good enough" ::

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Laurie...you should have made molds!!! You could have sold tons of them by now...like said I shelled out for big $$$ glass and 75% of it fit like @#%*. ::

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
ha... quarter panel extentions. every mustang restorers nemisis. let me tell you, go look at the most beautiful shelby you can find at any car show and i bet you that the endcaps fit as bad or worse than yours. these things just plain do not fit. none of them do, every friggin mustang out there has endcaps that don't fit. If you're determined to make them fit, you can build it up with fiberglass and sand it down til everything lines up really nice, or just deal with it. nothing is wrong, they just suck.

- Jason
Ditto.

But I would add. An easy way to make them fit...and I am going through this now...is to adjust the seam at the tail panel where the quarter meets (welds) to the tailpanel. I have my quarters off and the new ones cut to fit in. The extensions fit perfectly on the new quarters now that I modified the seam slightly...the old ones fit the old quarters but were cracked and I didnt want to deal with patching them as the car was rear ended (along with hit in just about every other location)...anywho.

I had the unibody straightened and now with replacing a panel at a time things are starting to line up with respect to the body and other fitment items.

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
matt it is just luck of the draw on the fit. i went and looked at my buddy's 67 gt500 car and his does not fit any better than mine so i left them that way if it was good enough for the original good enough for mine

·
Registered
580 Posts
One word. Dynaglass, I could have them puppies fitting perfect in an hour, 2 hours tops. Get to work.

Lstar

·
Registered
345 Posts
Whos did you buy your fiberglass from?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Your pictures look like they were taken of my car. Same crappy fit. I'm used to working on racecars where that quality wasn't acceptable. The place I bought them from said the car must have been damaged (not!) and I was being too picky. Shelbys I have looked at don't always fit great, but I haven't seen anything that bad. I'll build by end cap flanges up with f'glass and field fit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts