Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to create a new front bumper out of fiberglass so that I can smooth it in better with the body lines of the car .

Has any one made a fiberglass bumper. Trying to decided if I should make make a mold of the existing bumper, and then use this to make the new fiberglass bumper. Can I lay fiberglass right over the bumper with just some wax to release the mold?

I was also thinking it might be better to create a foam mold. Maybe fill in my old bumper with spray foam, pull this out when hard, and then place fiber glass over the mold.

Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
@Israel has a great point, even though there are all 'glass Shelby noses, the steel bumper is best for a street car, and you can tuck the front and rear bumpers for a cleaner look with work on the mounts underneath.

Reactions: Israel

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Not a bumper but the process is is similar. No reason why you can't do the same for bumpers
I made a set of Hoerner droop tip wing extensions for my EXP homebuilt many years ago.
I glued urethane foam blocks to the wings and shaped them in place. I then layed them up with fibreglass and epoxy resin.
Sorry about the pictures, unfortunately, after a computer crash, all I have left is scanned Polaroids.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I've read somewhere that the bumper standard for modern cars is they must withstand an impact of 2.5 MPH. That doesn't mean the bumper must withstand that amount of force, but it must protect the lamps and reflectors in a 2.5 MPH collision. Vintage Mustang bumpers are nowhere near able to withstand a 2.5 MPH collision without deformation, and a fiberglass bumper will be just as bad or worse. Except that the fiberglass bumper could probably be repaired at home, where the steel bumper would probably need replacement.

If you are not one of those people that "Park by Ear" you will probably be fine.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You can make a mold easily off of your original bumper. You can use mold release or just coat it heavily with Johnson's Paste Wax. I would mold some wood strips or steel along the back of the mold to keep the integrity of the original bumper. When you layup the bumper itself, coat the mold with the paste wax also to release the bumper. Once you make your mold you can make as many bumpers as you wish. I would use mat rather then cloth to make the bumper. Cloth would be fine for the mold. Easy and fun.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
You can make a mold easily off of your original bumper. You can use mold release or just coat it heavily with Johnson's Paste Wax. I would mold some wood strips or steel along the back of the mold to keep the integrity of the original bumper. When you layup the bumper itself, coat the mold with the paste wax also to release the bumper. Once you make your mold you can make as many bumpers as you wish. I would use mat rather then cloth to make the bumper. Cloth would be fine for the mold. Easy and fun.
I agree, but, remember if using polyester resin it shrinks. Once with making the mold and again when you pull a part from the mold
, so in effect the part will be proportionally and dimensionally smaller than the original.
If you use epoxy resin this will not happen.
Also use roving for the part, it is much heavier than mat or cloth and requires less lay ups.
The first layer for the mold and the part before the fibreglas should be a gel coat for a smooth surface.
Lotsa articles on the web for proper procedures.
Good luck and keep us posted if you go ahead with the project.

·
Super Moderator
9,771 Posts
I've read somewhere that the bumper standard for modern cars is they must withstand an impact of 2.5 MPH. That doesn't mean the bumper must withstand that amount of force, but it must protect the lamps and reflectors in a 2.5 MPH collision. Vintage Mustang bumpers are nowhere near able to withstand a 2.5 MPH collision without deformation, and a fiberglass bumper will be just as bad or worse. Except that the fiberglass bumper could probably be repaired at home, where the steel bumper would probably need replacement.

If you are not one of those people that "Park by Ear" you will probably be fine.
These bumpers are pretty flimsy, but glass offers Nothing,.....

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Thesed bumpers are pretty flimsy, but glass offers Nothing,.....
Yep. I can tap a light pole, a flower pot in the carport after rolling forward a hair in Park, or hit a critter at 45 with my chrome steel bumper and have no damage to my car (I have proof) but if I hit any of those with a 'glass bumper it would likely require a new one.

Reactions: Israel

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I would like to create a new front bumper out of fiberglass so that I can smooth it in better with the body lines of the car .

Has any one made a fiberglass bumper. Trying to decided if I should make make a mold of the existing bumper, and then use this to make the new fiberglass bumper. Can I lay fiberglass right over the bumper with just some wax to release the mold?

I was also thinking it might be better to create a foam mold. Maybe fill in my old bumper with spray foam, pull this out when hard, and then place fiber glass over the mold.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Why bother making one? There are plenty of manufacturers that make them already....I mean, sure, if you want the challenge of making one...but it will likely cost you half as much just for the materials needed as they sell them for already.

One from Maeir...there are others out there.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you make one you will have a poor fitting bumper like the original. I think the off the self fiberglass bumpers fit better than the repop steel ones.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Sh!!!!!!!!!!!!t.....
$249 to $649?
And $999 for a fender? At least it would never rust!

·
Registered
4,770 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Sh!!!!!!!!!!!!t.....
$249 to $649?
And $999 for a fender? At least it would never rust!
Well, Maeir tends to make some better quality fiberglass....there are certainly cheaper pieces out there though...besides, the $649 price is carbon fiber and carbon fiber, aside from being lighter has be pretty for most buyers since a lot of people buy it for the twill pattern. Most fiberglass bumpers tend to be in the $200ish range, about twice as expensive as a cheap metal repop. I wouldn't use them myself on a vintage mustang...the chrome bumpers are part of the appeal to me, but if you are really wanting to save every ounce of weight while still keeping a kinda factory appearance, they are an option.

My old RA29 Celica came with the horrible US market truck bumpers of the 70s...the Japaneese market cars came with chrome bumpers similar to the mustang(the rear bumper was very close....the front was closer to a charger) but the cost of finding OEM chrome smaller bumpers was prohibitive...so I found some aftermarket fiberglass bumpers for that car....they looked alright when painted body color....certainly better than the truck bumpers.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Used to be companies that made all sort of fiberglass parts for different muscle cars for drag racing. They'd have huge lists of parts with prices in car magazines. An ill-fitting Mustang bumper would probably set you back less than $100.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts