Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 1966 coupe, and I really like the look of the low-profile GT350 hood scoop. But I only see them on fiberglass hoods. I see that the hood comes up with a steel frame, which is good. But is a fiberglass hood a good idea?

The ones I have found that look good are at CJ Pony Parts:
Mustang Fiberglass Hood with Metal Frame Shelby GT350 Style 1965-1966 | CJ Pony Parts

Is there a big difference with going fiberglass over metal?

What I am not excited to do is buy a new matal hood and drill it to install a fiberglass scoop.

Advise?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Fiberglass has come a long way in terms of fit and finish. If it were me I'd go with the steel framed fiberglass hood. Know ahead of time there may be some work to get it to fit perfectly, but it comes with territory. Bonding fiberglass to steel and getting it to stay can be problematic, I'd avoid it as well.

P

·
0 Posts
A fiberglass hood on a steel frame is a great product. They have been used this way since the First Shelbys. No issues, get one.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
You need to evaluate. Yes there is a big...even huge difference! Fiberglass, even the best will require many hours to get a decent fit. Then many hours to minimise waves and ripples before finish paint.

Look at 67/68 Shelbeys, they have fiberglass hood that had many hours of fitting. You be the judge.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
But still expect a lot of bodywork to get it flat. High quality fiberglass for '65-'66 is few to none. When I went shopping for one I bought what was supposed to be the best out there. I still had to put 25-30 hrs of time into making it nice and flat. And I could have spent another 10 hours after seeing it with paint.
I have not heard how the white vacuum formed hoods are. But I bought the one out there with the purple gelcoat.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the fit issue with the fender gaps and such? Are you referring to moving the fenders out and in, or something else?

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
I bought my glass hood from Mustangs Plus- the first arrived with a broken corner in the box- the second one they sent fit almost perfectly. I was prepared to have to put a lot of time in it, but it really was pretty good right out of the box! Maybe I got lucky!

·
Registered
95 Posts
When searching for a hood for my car I fitted 3 different hoods and all of them would have required a lot of work. One was actually second hand and you could see the heat sinks where the glass frame was underneath.
You will always be able to tell if a hood is fibreglass, why not make a steel one instead of putting so many hours into a glass one.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1412967449.492626.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1412967604.155517.jpg

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I tried to talk our customer out of buying a Branda hood with the steel underside but he wouldn't listen. After priming and blocking 3 times, then painting it you can see every spot where they glued it from the underside. It will only get worse once the sun gets done with it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I tried to talk our customer out of buying a Branda hood with the steel underside but he wouldn't listen. After priming and blocking 3 times, then painting it you can see every spot where they glued it from the underside. It will only get worse once the sun gets done with it.
So what do you recommend?

·
Registered
35,330 Posts
I have the steel-framed fiberglass hood with the cranberry-colored gelcoat. Other than the manufacturing defects along the front lip where they didn't get the gelcoat backed up satisfactorily with mat, the rest has been just fine. I like the steel framing as it makes the hood look more "finished" underneath and the added reinforcement gives me peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Sounds like it needed a skim coat of mud and more sanding and priming. Nothing wrong with that.
Lynn

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Sounds like it needed a skim coat of mud and more sanding and priming. Nothing wrong with that.
Lynn
Well, I certainly appreciate the suggestion but since I've been building award wining Mustangs for 43 years, I can guarantee it wouldn't make a difference. This isn't the first time we've had problems with his hoods. The SMC hoods from Dynacorn would be a better bet.

·
Registered
78 Posts
How about the metal framed fiberglass 67 shelby-style hoods for 65-66 mustangs -- any view on those? If the fiberglass on metal option is always a problem, what is the alternative when there isn't a simple metal bolt-on scoop?

P

·
0 Posts
Fiberglass skin on a metal frame is not a problem if you are after an OEM look. If you are after bling and a show car .. . well there is always more work to do.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Fiberglass skin on a metal frame is not a problem if you are after an OEM look. If you are after bling and a show car .. . well there is always more work to do.
Well, I did buy the "best" fg steel hood Branda had to offer and I'm not after a show car.

I'll take all the ill fitting fg hood faults, quirks, and all. If it was good enough for Carrol.... I'm not going to be too upset about it.

Lynn

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Well, I certainly appreciate the suggestion but since I've been building award wining Mustangs for 43 years, I can guarantee it wouldn't make a difference. This isn't the first time we've had problems with his hoods. The SMC hoods from Dynacorn would be a better bet.
Sorry if it sounded like I was knocking you, I was not. Since you do that kind of quality you have have different standards and they reflect in your work.

I did buy the "best" fg steel hood Branda had to offer for our '65 coupe and I'm not after a show car. I'm willing to accept all the faults, quirks and fitment and finish issues associated with fg parts. I'm not the kind of guy who looses sleep over this stuff.

If it looks all as good what Carrol put on the real Shelby cars, I'm fine with that, and that is not saying a lot for what he put on his cars from the 100's of them I've seen over the years.

I'll take the fitment & finish quirks to a degree any day, it gives the cars character and personality, not a hands off me show car look which I'm not fond of.

Lynn

1 - 20 of 23 Posts