Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a GT500 front end and fiberglass hood on my 68 and also purchased the light hood springs to go with it. All items came from Branda, I don’t really see a difference from the original stock ones, I installed them and it seems as if the hood is going to break in half if I try and shut it. I double checked the part numbers and it says they are the right ones, maybe they are labeled wrong. Does anyone have a picture of the correct springs I need? Installed would be nice? Do they look any different than the stock mustang ones? Smaller diameter wire? Thanks

·
Registered
950 Posts
Were the hinges painted? Being new they would naturally be a little stiff. If they had paint, that would increase the resistance to movement. Since the flex-strength of the fiberglass hood is less that a steel one, the hood springs should be considerably lighter. I'd try some good lube on them and gently work them up and down a few times.

·
Premium Member
12,028 Posts
Since your car is not an original Shelby I'd do away with the springs completely and use a prop rod. That's what I did on my '65 with a 'glass hood.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Since your car is not an original Shelby I'd do away with the springs completely and use a prop rod. That's what I did on my '65 with a 'glass hood.
I’m looking for a prop rod solution. Did you go aftermarket or dumpster diving? Can you post your one and where you got it? Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Were the hinges painted? Being new they would naturally be a little stiff. If they had paint, that would increase the resistance to movement. Since the flex-strength of the fiberglass hood is less that a steel one, the hood springs should be considerably lighter. I'd try some good lube on them and gently work them up and down a few times.
Haven’t been painted

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was going to be my second option. I will contact Branda and see what they say about exchanging them. I think I got the wrong ones

·
Premium Member
12,028 Posts
I’m looking for a prop rod solution. Did you go aftermarket or dumpster diving? Can you post your one and where you got it? Thanks
Dumpster Diving. I robbed it out of a Maverick in the junk yard about 25 years ago. I had to drill a hole in my radiator support for it and a hole in the underside of the hood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts