Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again! I am finally getting everything moved into the shop and I will be starting on the Mach One shortly. I need to replace the fenders and hood. I was looking at sheet metal of course and then found some fiberglass parts.

Of course, as with any aftermarket part, I am worried about fitment issues. Now, they are basically the same price (within like $20~) and I assume the fiberglass weigh a bit less. I think it would be much easier to deal with fitment issues with the fiberglass ones than the sheet metal. I was considering getting the fiberglass doors and trunk lid as well. it is going to be a "weekend driver" that sees a decent amount of track time.

Any ideas what the weight difference would be if I got the hood, fenders, doors and trunk lid? Any reason NOT to go with fiberglass parts as they are about the same price? Other than keeping the car "original"? I assume the "side impact" thing with fiberglass doors would come into play but the car will have a roll cage with removable door bars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's because smart people run like hell when anyone mentions fiberglass. Here's a little nightmare I'm currently involved in.

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
I've never seen fiberglass doors or fenders that were worth a poop, and I've worked fiberglass professionally. Heck, even most of the repro Shelby parts are crap, and all they had to do was copy originals.

If you are fitting doors and fenders, the "original tool" 65-68 fenders are the only way to go, and the repro doors are more than passable. Much better than they were a few years ago.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Well, I don't know what the total weight savings will be, but if it's going to be a track car and not a show car, i don't see any reason you can't go with fiberglass parts. Obviously, any weight savings are going to help your track times. My only real concern would be fitment issues. In my experience, fiberglass parts generally don't end up fitting as well.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Fiberglass is great for stand alone things like boats, showers, porta potties, rider mower and snow mobile hoods etc.

On a car body parts like a fender figure on many hours fitting before you get to waves and ripples. Good fiberglas parts can be made but require very costly tooling and controled timing of every step of the process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts