Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I NEED to install a set of gauges but have nowhere to put them in my 69 except where the ashtray goes. I want to install 3 guages there. I dont have a console so the shelby kit wont work plus they only hold 3 gauges. Was thinking of making one out of particleboard but I think fiberglass would look so much better. So what do you guys think? Would it be hard. Ive never worked with fiberglass but gotta start somewhere right?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I do a lot of fiberglass work in my boat restos. You just shape what you want out of styrofoam insulation (cheapest stuff you can find at HD), then cover it with fiberglass layer by layer. You need to use epoxy resin since anything else will eat the foam. After your done with the fiberglass (and its hard) hog as much styrofoam out as you can then pour gas or lacquer thinning into your part, it will dissolve any foam you were not able to get out. Then just sand and paint.

If you're really good you can make the last layer of glass carbon fiber, it will look amazing. There are also kevlar/carbon blends which will add color to the part.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Styrofoam is a good idea. The problem is arentthey just thin sheets? Iwould need a block of it as I will be puttig it under the a.c. switches where the ashtray is. If I can get a block of it, couldnt I just wrap the styrofoam mold in tin foil and pull it off? Also, what kind of styrofaom is easily moldable?

·
Registered
332 Posts
i do a lot of fiberglassing for custom sub boxes and what not... ive done center consoles and door panels too.. right now im working on a dash for my 67... aside from the foam, ive found that cardboard makes it easy for building 'boxed' areas... good luck in your project!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Make your form out of foam and just grey tape (duct tape) the thing. The fiberglass will not attach to the fiberglass. Depending on the shape of the form you might be able to make another fiberglass part using the same form.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great. So should I make the form and then drill the holes for the gauges or should I form holes for the gauges?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Make the form and then drill the holes. Its easier to keep a flat surface on the form than it is to pur holes in the form and then glass over them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts