Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have hinted in my garage build thread that I am having health problems. I thought maybe some of you would like to know.

It started on Friday August 16th, 2019. I was on vacation, and I was preparing both my cars for the Woodward Dream Cruise on Saturday, and my favorite car show, Mustang Memories Car Show at the Dearborn Ford World Head Quarters.
This is my absolute favorite time of year. I wait all year long in anticipation of this weekend.
I was laying on my back in the driveway. I was reaching under my Mustang to install my hidden shut off key. When I sat up in a twisting motion I felt a sharp pain in my left side. I remember commenting that I must be getting old if I can't do a sit up without feeling pain.
The pain went away and I got back to cleaning the cars.
The next morning I woke up with a stabbing pain in my side. I laid on the couch waiting for the pain to subside. I though it was a digestive thing. I didn't want to be stuck in the worlds largest cruise/traffic jam and have to use the bathroom in an emergency.
The pain kept getting worse and worse. I started sweating, and getting bad nausea. The pain was over a 10. I knew it was something bad. I told my wife to either take me to the hospital emergency room or call 911.
She disagreed and took me to an urgent care facility.
I got to the urgent care. They got me in quickly, looked me over and told me they would call an ambulance to take me to the hospital emergency room.
I looked at the wife and said told ya!
We drove to the ER.
They admitted me and started to give me pain med's. They did 2 cat scans.
By the way. I was a little disappointed that no cats were involved in the cat scan. I was already disappointed that the only cruising I was doing was on a gurney getting moved around the hospital. It was my half lucid, pain med cruise. No where near as fun.
Well they admitted me over night for an emergency surgery the next day. It seems I had a 10 mm Kidney stone lodged in my left Ureter. The size of a license plate bolt. A little over 3/8 for us old timers.
The next day they installed a stent to go around the stone, so my kidney would function.
After about a week and a half of that. I had a surgery to remove the stone. They had to use a laser to break it up and remove it. I miss the second biggest cruise of the year, The Harper cruise.
There is a whole lot of pain involved in this process, but drugs made it less miserable.
I was out of commission for about a month.
On my follow up visits I had 2 ultra sounds to check my healing status. The good news was that I wasn't pregnant, and no aliens were found.
They were seeing something going wrong though. I was sent for a CT scan ASAP. Again no fluffy critters, and disappointing. Although it is completely true that the Iodine they inject you with makes your but, and taint hot. So dang WEIRD.
It turns out I have a sever obstruction in the same area. Complications due to the previous surgery, and common. The doctor assumes it is scar tissue. It is blocking off my ureter. This could cause me to loose my kidney and even kill me if the kidney dies and I become septic. I need surgery. The same surgery again to remove the obstruction.
I had surgery last Thursday.The surgery FAILED. A stent was not able to be placed to drain my kidney. I have about a 99% blockage.
Needless to say I am not having a good time dealing with this, hospitals, doctors, and the whole thing.
I am scheduled for another surgery this Thursday. It is a called a Nephrostomy tube placement.
They put a tube into your kidney, that comes out your back and into a bag. Great, just wonderful, I get a piss bag.
After this I have to see my Urologist. I guess the next step it to cut me open and repair or cut out the damaged section of the ureter.
I have no idea how long I will be out of commission this time.
I am hoping, wishing, praying that I don't loose the kidney.
It really feels like the Doctors, Hospital, Hospital staff really could care less about my situation.
The lack of urgency, communication, and care is unbelievable.
I am trying to put up a good front, but this **** is scary. Of course everything planned in your life comes to a screeching halt, because you have to focus on this.
It is so frustrating.
Anyway. That is the update for anyone that cares.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have hinted in my garage build thread that I am having health problems. I thought maybe some of you would like to know.

It started on Friday August 16th, 2019. I was on vacation, and I was preparing both my cars for the Woodward Dream Cruise on Saturday, and my favorite car show, Mustang Memories Car Show at the Dearborn Ford World Head Quarters.
This is my absolute favorite time of year. I wait all year long in anticipation of this weekend.
I was laying on my back in the driveway. I was reaching under my Mustang to install my hidden shut off key. When I sat up in a twisting motion I felt a sharp pain in my left side. I remember commenting that I must be getting old if I can't do a sit up without feeling pain.
The pain went away and I got back to cleaning the cars.
The next morning I woke up with a stabbing pain in my side. I laid on the couch waiting for the pain to subside. I though it was a digestive thing. I didn't want to be stuck in the worlds largest cruise/traffic jam and have to use the bathroom in an emergency.
The pain kept getting worse and worse. I started sweating, and getting bad nausea. The pain was over a 10. I knew it was something bad. I told my wife to either take me to the hospital emergency room or call 911.
She disagreed and took me to an urgent care facility.
I got to the urgent care. They got me in quickly, looked me over and told me they would call an ambulance to take me to the hospital emergency room.
I looked at the wife and said told ya!
We drove to the ER.
They admitted me and started to give me pain med's. They did 2 cat scans.
By the way. I was a little disappointed that no cats were involved in the cat scan. I was already disappointed that the only cruising I was doing was on a gurney getting moved around the hospital. It was my half lucid, pain med cruise. No where near as fun.
Well they admitted me over night for an emergency surgery the next day. It seems I had a 10 mm Kidney stone lodged in my left Ureter. The size of a license plate bolt. A little over 3/8 for us old timers.
The next day they installed a stent to go around the stone, so my kidney would function.
After about a week and a half of that. I had a surgery to remove the stone. They had to use a laser to break it up and remove it. I miss the second biggest cruise of the year, The Harper cruise.
There is a whole lot of pain involved in this process, but drugs made it less miserable.
I was out of commission for about a month.
On my follow up visits I had 2 ultra sounds to check my healing status. The good news was that I wasn't pregnant, and no aliens were found.
They were seeing something going wrong though. I was sent for a CT scan ASAP. Again no fluffy critters, and disappointing. Although it is completely true that the Iodine they inject you with makes your but, and taint hot. So dang WEIRD.
It turns out I have a sever obstruction in the same area. Complications due to the previous surgery, and common. The doctor assumes it is scar tissue. It is blocking off my ureter. This could cause me to loose my kidney and even kill me if the kidney dies and I become septic. I need surgery. The same surgery again to remove the obstruction.
I had surgery last Thursday.The surgery FAILED. A stent was not able to be placed to drain my kidney. I have about a 99% blockage.
Needless to say I am not having a good time dealing with this, hospitals, doctors, and the whole thing.
I am scheduled for another surgery this Thursday. It is a called a Nephrostomy tube placement.
They put a tube into your kidney, that comes out your back and into a bag. Great, just wonderful, I get a piss bag.
After this I have to see my Urologist. I guess the next step it to cut me open and repair or cut out the damaged section of the ureter.
I have no idea how long I will be out of commission this time.
I am hoping, wishing, praying that I don't loose the kidney.
It really feels like the Doctors, Hospital, Hospital staff really could care less about my situation.
The lack of urgency, communication, and care is unbelievable.
I am trying to put up a good front, but this **** is scary. Of course everything planned in your life comes to a screeching halt, because you have to focus on this.
It is so frustrating.
Anyway. That is the update for anyone that cares.
I am so sorry that you are going through such a tough and frustrating time. Scary stuff. You will get through this and hopefully finally see a fluffy cat. Seriously, health issues are tough but you will get through. I hope you receive a good solution soon and you recover quickly. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yah, SWITCH DOCS IF YOU DON'T HAVE FAITH IN THEM!!!
You owe them NO loyalty -- a common trap most patients fall into is to feel they have to be loyal to their doc (kinda like women with their beauticians).
Hey, I know! I'm a doc, and believe me, at least HALF the docs I know I would not trust!
It's a god-like thang that happens to almost all people who are in a similar position as docs, such as your IT guy and computer geek, as well as your Porsche mechanic, and your VA appointment scheduler, and your bank mortgage approver, and your auto accident insurance adjuster, and lotsa policemen, and and and etc.

And hang in there!
While this can happen anywhere, it sounds like you might live in a small-ish community with a community hospital, with no state of the art equipment and no highly skilled staff, and worse yet, with poor quality control? However, I am aware of really big foulups even in supposedly-high-fallutin major medical centers. People are people, and allllll are susceptible to having inadequancies, besides bad days and bad decisions.

I think you should be considering talking to a malpractice lawyer once this is all over. They can obtain all your records and have an outside-the-hospital (and outside the area) surgeon and nephrologist review the notes and the studies. There are TONS of incompetent surgeons out there who have tremendous confidence BLUFF, but no skills. They persist -- and funny thing is that I am most wary of older docs -- and I am one. They tend to rely on old knowledge, they don't keep up with the latest techniques, have an inability to learn, and they lose mental agility as well as dexterity -- all characteristics that I recognize in myself and my peers (65-70 year-old age range).

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Chin up old man, I feel your pain, in many places. Over the years I have had 11 major medical procedures including 5 joint replacements.
Keep looking for a good doctor that has your best interests forefront.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
After my Dad's wife got batted around with kidney stones and urinary tract infections, finally found a 7mm malignant mass on one kidney...one doc said the kidney had to come out. A second opinion doc said it may, but he was willing to try laparoscopic surgery and will try to save the kidney. 6 weeks later, post-OP, a bunch of anti-biotics, and lots of cranberry later, she is back to her regular self. Never EVER EVER EVER dismiss your instincts or give up working to get back to the way you were. Be very blessed and Happy New Year !!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hello Friend.

I live in Livonia and know of a few doctors/urologists. One of them in particular is thru Henry Ford Hospital. Let me know if I can offer any advice...

Also my sister-in-law is a nurse through Beaumont and might be able to give me some names..

God puts us through these difficult times so so that we come out of them as stronger people.

God has a plan, trust in him.

Amen to that my friend..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry to hear this. As said in a few posts above, if you don't trust your current dr's then get through the emergency stuff and find one you do trust.

Hang in there.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
All the best for a good recovery...
FYI, .some of us have a propensity for developing "stones" whether it be male of female. My wife has this "propensity". Therefore, for those here that do, it's a good idea to pay attention to genetics and strive to do what we can to reduce or eliminate the formation. A daily 1/4 cup of lemon juice mixed with a dollop of EVOO is a good holistic mix to slow or, even, ward-off the formation of stones. Eliminating, foods high in oxalates will help retard the formation of stones. Read on....

Happy New Year guys and we all make through this New Years Eve unharmed.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone.
I spoke with the hospital today for pre-op instructions. I am feeling a little better about their communication. The new Doctor doing the new surgery seems highly recommended and he is the head of Radiology. I looked into him. I just have to get through this surgery.

Using ultrasound, the interventional radiologist will locate the kidney and insert a special hollow needle through the skin into the kidney. Using live X-ray (fluoroscopy) for guidance, the doctor will guide a small catheter into the kidney. The portion of the catheter on the outside of the skin will be connected to a drainage bag. A small stitch and/or an adhesive clip will hold the catheter in place on the surface of the skin. The procedure should take approximately an hour to complete.

It may be possible for me to get a slightly different version of this surgery. I guess in some cases they can insert a stent into the Kidney, bypass the ureter, and have it dump into your bladder. All internally. That sounds like a better option. I would prefer that. I think.
I was told the doctor will discuss everything with me on Thursday.

Then I will have an appointment and discuss with my Urologist what the next step is. If I do not like his plan I will get a second opinion.
One step at a time. I am just trying to take it real easy. So far I have discomfort, and pressure. I still have a little pain from the last surgery. Those laser scopes really tear up your insides. It feels like you are peeing small, red hot, razor blades for few days. Also. It is unnerving to pee blood. This is common after the surgery but is still hard to wrap your brain around.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also.
I have a good friend who's wife has a genetic disorder that makes her get kidney stones. She has spent her whole life battling the condition. She spent every other month for over 30 years in hospitals due to kidney stones.
She is my expert. She referred me to our current doctors.
Also. This past summer she started a new supplement called Kidney Cop. It is a Calcium Oxilate inhibition supplement. She has been kidney stone free ever since, and not had to go to the hospital once since taking this. She recommended it. I started taking it right away.
I showed it to my Doctor who didn't know about the product, but approved it. He said it has everything you should be taking. Then he gave me a pamphlet on supplements.
Great! Glad you told me that Doc, (SARCASM).
I had to find this info out myself. Just like all the rest of this info.
I have also really changed my diet for the better in the past months and cut back and cut out a lot of things that cause kidney stones and kidney problems.
I drink a lot of water, lemon aid, cranberry juice now.
Out of my diet is most tea, soda's, and I have really cut back on my salt intake. I have been very proactive about my health the last few months.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
i feel your pain truly. i have end stage kidney disease, and i have been on dialysis for the last eight years. keep a stiff upper lip my friend, stand firm and keep moving forward. i dont have the energy or strength to work on my cars anymore, but perhaps one day either i will, or i will have the money to hire the work dine.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts