Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
May the Lord bless and keep you and your family as you go through all this.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hurts just reading your post!

Thoughts and prayers for you! Getting old has its downsides. Let’s hope the new year starts off better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
God bless you Joe, and get healed and "go with the flow" asap. You'd much rather be under the car than under the weather! And on the bright side, if this is how the new year starts, then it can only get better from here!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I was squeezing my legs together just reading this Joe, though I did have to laugh at your story telling all the same, especially about the hot taint :)

I'm really sorry you're going through these struggles. I hope everything comes out successfully for you and you can get to healing quickly.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just got back from the hospital.
Thank you everyone for your blessings, thoughts, and prayers. It means a lot.
The Doc was able to install a stent through my back, into my kidney, down my Ureter, through the blockage, and into my bladder. This means NO piss bag. For now that is.
I have to schedule a doctors appointment tomorrow with my Urologist. I will still need surgery to repair the ureter.
I also do not know how much damage has been done to my kidney.
It still hurts, I am back to peeing blood again. The pressure feels relieved, and my back pain is less.
Now I need to eat. I haven't since 12 am last night.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
if you re still getting about the same amout of urine production you did before this all happened, then your kidneys are still in good shape. but now is the time to start helping them. things you can do to help;

1: keep your blood pressure in check. high blood pressure harms the kidneys.

2: reduce your phosphorus intake. start by stop drinking colas, and other beverages with phosphoric acid in them, no more coke, pepsi, rc cola, dr pepper, any of the cola drinks. you can drink things like 7up, sprite, mtn dew, sierra mist, etc. if you like fanta, stop drinking them as they contain phosphoric acid. check the labels.

3: get with the dietician and have them give you a list of low phosphorus foods. some other foods you should limit or cut out are dairy products, cheese milk, etc.

·
Registered
396 Posts
That certainly sounds like good news Joe, very glad to hear it. Hopefully this will get better from here and you’ll be back under the car soon enough. Stay focused on all the good things in your life. Best wishes sir!!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Update.
On Wednesday I had a Doctors appointment. I got to see pictures of my guts. It looks like my ureter healed itself closed. It looked like a collapsed hose. They put in something that looks like balloon stent. So now that area is wide open.
It still feels like Chuck Norris kicking me in the kidney every time I pee. Each day it gets a tiny bit less painful. The Doc say's that is normal. The entry wound in my back seems to be healing good.
I am scheduled for my next surgery on Feb 3, 2020. They will go back in and try and cut away all the scar tissue, and junk, remove the old stent and install another new stent. This means at least 2 weeks down after that surgery. I hope it works because the next step is to cut me open and remove that section of ureter.

I went back to work on Wed. So far so good. I am taking it slow and easy though. I burned through all my sick and vacation time. The only slightly good news is that the cheap evil bastard company I work for just started giving us some short term and long term disability pay. I think it is only 30% of my pay for short term. I will take it. It is better than nothing. Still seems kind of Scrooge like though. I guess I will get the IT in the Jack Shii they pay me. I bet the big wigs get 100% of their pay.

I am still not near 100%. It will be awhile before I am back working on the garage. It depends. I will see how I feel on my days off.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yah, SWITCH DOCS IF YOU DON'T HAVE FAITH IN THEM!!!
You owe them NO loyalty -- a common trap most patients fall into is to feel they have to be loyal to their doc (kinda like women with their beauticians).
Hey, I know! I'm a doc, and believe me, at least HALF the docs I know I would not trust!
It's a god-like thang that happens to almost all people who are in a similar position as docs, such as your IT guy and computer geek, as well as your Porsche mechanic, and your VA appointment scheduler, and your bank mortgage approver, and your auto accident insurance adjuster, and lotsa policemen, and and and etc.

And hang in there!
While this can happen anywhere, it sounds like you might live in a small-ish community with a community hospital, with no state of the art equipment and no highly skilled staff, and worse yet, with poor quality control? However, I am aware of really big foulups even in supposedly-high-fallutin major medical centers. People are people, and allllll are susceptible to having inadequancies, besides bad days and bad decisions.

I think you should be considering talking to a malpractice lawyer once this is all over. They can obtain all your records and have an outside-the-hospital (and outside the area) surgeon and nephrologist review the notes and the studies. There are TONS of incompetent surgeons out there who have tremendous confidence BLUFF, but no skills. They persist -- and funny thing is that I am most wary of older docs -- and I am one. They tend to rely on old knowledge, they don't keep up with the latest techniques, have an inability to learn, and they lose mental agility as well as dexterity -- all characteristics that I recognize in myself and my peers (65-70 year-old age range).
This right here. Get someone to advocate for you. Drs aren't gods, some are good, some not so much. Ask the nurses who they would they want if in your shoes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
691 Posts
Sorry to hear about your pain and suffering. I had a situation about 5 years ago that had me living in a chair for 2 months. Try to do what you can to stay physically fit and don't be shy about seeking out the best hospital and Doctor you can find. My local Doc instead on vertibrate fusion surgery. My wife insisted on going to a top ranked hospital 190 miles away where I was advised not to get surgery. That turned out to be the right choice. The wife saw it as go with the "C" team Docs locally or the "A" team Docs at Johns Hopkins. Good luck and remember that this will pass.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thank you for sharing such a painful experience. We will pray for your healing. My wife went though similar issues, including doctors...at least I know that’s how I felt about the situation.

You have definitely helped me understand what she must have experienced.

She’s like her mother, tough as nails.
Her family has a history of being “gravel factories”.
Glad you can still joke around with the pain too, even if it hurts to laugh.

Get well soon,

Dan

21 - 36 of 36 Posts