Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Magnaflow 2.5" dual exhaust kit with an X-pipe. I had already installed Tri-y headers on the car.

First I tried to install the system myself. I was largely unsuccessful. I had no way to put a collector flange on the exhaust pipes, so I cut the collector flanges off of the headers with the intent of doing a slip joint there. That was a mistake on my part.

Eventually I gave up. I couldn't bend the pipes well enough to make them fit the headers. So I took the car and the whole kit to Heritage Wheel & Tire in Pullman, WA. I told him I wanted him to install the exhaust kit for me.

I picked up the car and was quite happy with it. The welds were quality and the new system sounded great.

Now I've realized that instead of installing a slip-joint at the headers, as I was going to do, they welded everything together. The headers are welded to the first set of pipes, which are welded to the X pipe, which is welded to the second set of pipes. Then there's a slip joint at the mufflers just before the rear axle.

There's no way for me to get the transmission out. I called Heritage Wheel & Tire and he said "We worked with what you had." I explained to him that not having access to my transmission was obviously a problem, and I wanted him to fix it.

He said "Well you'd have to cut the pipes to get to the transmission. That's actually quite common."

I replied "I paid you $250 to install a system where I'll have to cut the pipes to get my transmission out?"

"Your headers didn't have flanges. We can install flanges if you want." -"But you'd charge me?" -"Yes sir."

I told him that I'll be calling VISA to file a claim and get my money back.

"Do what you've gotta do." he said.

Am I being unreasonable?

Thanks
-Matt

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This work was done about a month ago.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you did not state you wanted some sort of mounting system (since you cut the flange) then you have some responsibility in the matter. If you just said to install it, then they did what you said. Should they have given you options before finishing? Sure that's what a good shop would do.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Hmmmmm.....

This is a tough one. BUT, I would have to side with the shop. Here's why. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you didn't specify that you wanted slip fittings so you could remove the exhaust did you? AND, they were working around a mistake that you made by cutting the flanges off the headers. PLUS, it sounds like they did one heck of a good job on the system with what they had.

Sorry, but I don't think you have a claim. I wish you luck though.

·
Registered
703 Posts
As much as I hate to say it, because I'm always on the side of the customer, I think the other posters have a point. Without the collectors, and no specific instructions from you, the shop probably just did what they could.

I would go back to them with a positive attitude and ask if maybe you all could split the cost of welding on collectors....

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
you should have told him NOT to weld the collectors to the headers cause you wanted them to be a slip fit. its not the muffler shops fault. yes your being unreasonable. a man has got to completely communicate what he wants his muffler man to do.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
As much as I hate to say it, because I'm always on the side of the customer, I think the other posters have a point. Without the collectors, and no specific instructions from you, the shop probably just did what they could.

I would go back to them with a positive attitude and ask if maybe you all could split the cost of welding on collectors....
+1 .....

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, thanks guys.

This blows.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I think both parties may be wrong here. If you didn't bring the collector flanges as part of the parts then shame on you. If I was running the shop, I wouldn't have welded it like that. Since we are not privy to the work requested our vote doesn't count that much.
I don't think you have a claim. I would take it back, and pay the man to install them.

I am not even sure you can remove the engine without a lot of headache. Why would you want a slip fit at the collector?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
^^^^+1
at least yours got welded up. sounds like they did a good job.

BTW if you talkto them nicely and make them seeit your way id bet they wouldnt charge you all that much to re connect it all after your done.

but then again if it were me ida hooked up the tranny first and did the pipes last.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
What kind of exhaust shop welds a system together that blocks drivetrain parts and cannot be removed except for cutting? If you didn't mention flanges, they should have asked you. Flanges seem like common sense, but I guess not.

I'm in the same boat as you. When I was about 17, I installed a dual outlet header on my I6 and had a small shop make an exhaust system for it. I provided the mufflers. They did not weld on flanges. I am 24 now and recently realized that if I had to remove my transmission I would have to cut the pipes. It's not a big deal now because it should last me until the V8 conversion.

·
Registered
116 Posts
common problem on fox body x-pipes friend of mine had his welded to the headers and left the muffler side bolt on thinking he could remove em if he had to, 2 weeks later clutch went out......back to muffler shop lol

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
Sounds like mis-communication between you and the shop. Is there some reason you need to get the transmission out now? Seems to me you should split the difference at some point, if they'll cut you a break on installing joints.

This, BTW, is how it's done:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Any time you take a muscle car to "civilians" you gotta be specific. If you see muscle cars parked all over the property and drag racing trophies in the window - you can relax but otherwise buyer beware.

Make them put the car on the rack and explain exactly what they are going to do. You explain exactly what you want THEN you have a case. This is a world where most shops bolt in the correct part number or weld in a replacement section or muffler. The days of old school shops are dying out LITERALLY. Most of these guys don't know how it should be done unless everything bolts together which is what you found you did not have.

Don't fall for the confident guy behind the counter who is confident he will not return your money. Make sure he doesn't hand it over to the Bozo who just finished changing a tire and is the only one available.

Frankly, when I have to take my muscle car to a civillian, I stand just outside the garage door and watch EVERYTHING if they throw me out of the garage.

M

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Well,

The typical 3 bolt header flanges always seem to leak, some sooner, some later. I say you have a great set up.

Unless you have some pre existing trans problem that necessitates removal, I'd leave it nice and buttoned up until you need to take the trans out.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
You should go back to the shop with flanges in hand and ask him to work with you about welding them in place. Tell the man it's your fault for not explaining what you expected. If the pipes are welded to the mufflers then I would wait on those till I had to pull the tranny and thats when I would get out the sawzall. You can cut the pipe ahead of the muffler enough to allow for a band type clamp when your ready to put it back together.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i guess it is unreasonable because i got a whole custom made exhaust made with flowmaster super 40s chrome tips and a falange for $380 and it took him about a hour and a half.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts