Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting around to test fitting parts I bought in 2016. Went with an Aeromotive 20 gallon tank that's a direct fit for a 69-70 mustang.

Bought the modified filler neck from CJP. This is the problem.

The filler neck doesn't even get close to lining up with the tank.

And it won't go all the way flush to the tail panel...it's hitting the bracket on the inside.

Called CJ and the tech said that guys typically have to bend the tube to fit and they do get complaints about this part.
Nice to hear that it sounds like they know this is a problem and haven't fixed it.

Is there another source for a filler neck that actually works for this conversion? Or should I cut & reweld this piece so it works?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
National Parts Depot. That one looks like it may be for the 22 gallon tank or something.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
When I installed a 22 gal in my 69, I needed to use the 70 filler. Solved my problem.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Getting around to test fitting parts I bought in 2016. Went with an Aeromotive 20 gallon tank that's a direct fit for a 69-70 mustang.

And it won't go all the way flush to the tail panel...it's hitting the bracket on the inside.

Called CJ and the tech said that guys typically have to bend the tube to fit and they do get complaints about this part.
Nice to hear that it sounds like they know this is a problem and haven't fixed it.

Is there another source for a filler neck that actually works for this conversion? Or should I cut & reweld this piece so it works?
I'd cut and re-weld. I'm cheap and would like to do it exactly how I wanted it. That's just me, though.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered one from NPD this afternoon (along with a few other things I need).

It was quite a bit more, but I'm worried about being able to do leak-proof welds. If the NPD part is the same fit (it does look different in the pics though), then I'll return it and will mess with the CJP part.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts

It was quite a bit more, but I'm worried about being able to do leak-proof welds. If the NPD part is the same fit (it does look different in the pics though), then I'll return it and will mess with the CJP part.
Well maybe I'll swing by and take the old one off your hands and let you recoup some cost. I might not trust myself, but my friend is the Charlie Daniels of the TIG welder. Not sure yet if I'll end up with 20 or 22 gallons. Most likely 22, since I want to cruise.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well maybe I'll swing by and take the old one off your hands and let you recoup some cost. I might not trust myself, but my friend is the Charlie Daniels of the TIG welder. Not sure yet if I'll end up with 20 or 22 gallons. Most likely 22, since I want to cruise.
I'll let you know how the NPD one fits or if I wind up having to hack up the CJP one. The difference in the 20 vs 22 gallon tank can't be more than an inch in height.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts

Well maybe I'll swing by and take the old one off your hands and let you recoup some cost. I might not trust myself, but my friend is the Charlie Daniels of the TIG welder. Not sure yet if I'll end

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Is the new tank neck exactly like stock, location-wise?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Since I would bet my bottom dollar cj's wasn't the least bit interested in swapping that one out, letting you return it, etc etc, It was well over their strictly enforced 60 day return policy so you're screwed, even if you offered to ship it back and take a store credit they would tell you to pound sand.So, I would order a new one from them, and then return that piece of crap back in the new box. I hate them that much. ps double gasket the filler neck to help keep your gas cap from scratching the rear body panel when you twist it on and off.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I've done dozens of 22 gal tank swaps into early mustangs and we used the original one that was on the car. I'm not sure about your brand of tank, but we used stock 70 tanks and cut 2" off the filler neck and used a new hose to connect them. (Old hoses crack and can leak.) Mine has been in my 64 since 1992 and that's over 400,000 miles of gas that's been thru the tank with no problems. I get a chuckle out of all the "problems" people have and then spend (waste) a lot of money with these adapter filler necks when the old one usually works (or in our case, always worked!) Your brand of tank might be different, so some testing might be needed in cutting off 2" or so. Even my 65 K FB has a 22 gal tank now!:)

·
Registered
777 Posts
I installed the Aeromotive Stealth II for my '70, it only comes in the 20 gal size. The Aeromotive Stealth tank starts as I ordered a '69 filler tube thinking thats what I would need.

My 22 gal neck I modified with the stangs.r me flap. I tried the 22 gal neck and it fit perfectly. I didn't ever try the 69 neck because I wanted to keep the flap that works great

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Hey Dan, having run into this recently, I purchase the '69 Filler shortened it a bit then connected the modified filler to the tank via a 21/4" clear fuel rated hose. It's flexible and with a little heat gun therapy it slid into place.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just installed the Aeromotive 20 gal in my 65fb. Fabbed new filler neck with stainless steel 45 mandrel bent tube from Summit and the flange end of an existing filler tube. Trimmed to length then had the ss tube expanded slightly at a muffler shop so that flange would slide in, clocked it properly, then jb welded the slip joint. Tried to add photos, but had problem doing so. Worked very well.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Dan,

Sorry I’m just now seeing your post, but I have a NPD 22 gallon conversion “kit” that I’m planning to install in my ‘65 Fastback when it gets out of the paint shop. Not quite as fancy as your (EFI?) tank but similar concept.

If needed I can confirm fill tube length, part #, etc.

I’d second Geico’s advice above...double or even triple that gasket between fill neck and taillight panel to avoid scratching paint - especially if you have the steel cable used to secure the gas cap. I’m trying to talk myself out of putting Drake’s LeMans Flip Top gas cap (same as Cobra) on the ‘65...

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was thinking of the LeMans flip top cap too but I think it’s a bit too big to look right on the tail panel of the 65 mustang. If they made a smaller one, I think it would look cool.

I bought the NPD filler neck and it still didn’t line up right, but it did at least slide into the car without hitting the bracket. I would up cutting it shorter and used a longer hose to connect the two...so all is good now.

Probably should have just bought a standard 65 filler neck for less money. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hey Dan,

S

I’d second Geico’s advice above...double or even triple that gasket between fill neck and taillight panel to avoid scratching paint - especially if you have the steel cable used to secure the gas cap. I’m trying to talk myself out of putting Drdake’s LeMans Flip Top gas cap (same as Cobra) on the ‘65...
I think Geico's advice is 15 minutes can save you 15% or more on car insurance. :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts