Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried to put my new Gas tank in the 69. It fit in the opening and the screws all lined up just fine, but the filler neck opening is about an inch too close to the back of the car. After doing a search I've read that people can put tanks from 69 and 70 in earlier year cars with only the length of the filler neck to be changed. If this is the only differance than I guess my American Design repop is just made wrong. Should I send it back or is there something else that I'm missing?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The location of the filler neck doesn't change. What changes is the HEIGHT of the neck on the gas tank. The '69 tank is taller inside the trunk than the previous years, and the '70 is even taller still. I would say your tank was made wrong. I can get you some measurements of how far it should be from the end of the tank tonight, if someone doesn't get it to you sooner.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be great john. I also noticed the tank didn't have a vent on it wouldn't that make it hard to fill with gas?

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Sounds like you have a later model year tank. Contact the supplier, explain the situation, and if they are anybody but Flaming River they might offer you the matching filler neck to you rather than take the tank back.

·
Registered
758 Posts
There seem to be variations in Mustang gas tanks beyond the factory specs. I suspect Ford used a variety of tanks (different models and years) according to what was in stock at the time, and I have an oddball combination.

I've tried to replace my '68 filler neck more than once and been unable to find a neck that matches the original. The catalog piece is one with an angle that aims about an inch past where my tank wants it. Even Sac Mustang can't match it to any standard neck they have.

Mine is a short, sharply curved filler neck, almost like a quarter of a circle. I've seen the "right one" on eBay, but keep missing out on the bids.

So... maybe it's not just you. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I'm lost; the tank I pulled out had a vent on the top of it. Maybe it wasn't the original tank but at least the filler neck fit to it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
speaking of faulty gas tank manufacturing i put in a new sending unit on my 65 to fix a broken seal between the piece that attaches to the fuel line and the sending unit. Now the new sending unit is leaking out of the top hole where the wire that goes to the fuel gauge is. I was less than pleased ::

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
speaking of faulty gas tank manufacturing i put in a new sending unit on my 65 to fix a broken seal between the piece that attaches to the fuel line and the sending unit. Now the new sending unit is leaking out of the top hole where the wire that goes to the fuel gauge is. I was less than pleased ::
The leaky wire is an easy fix, its just a nut that compresses a rubber gasket. Tighten it up a bit and it should be fine. It may require removing the sender again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts