Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to fill in emblem holes on hoods and trunks. I want to get rid of the letters and would like to fill in the stud holes on the hood. How should I go about doing this? Should I put a divot where the letters were and fill in with bondo or is there a better way?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If you have a mig welder just fill them in and grind them off. If you try to use body filler you will need to put some kind of material behind the holes otherwise the body puddy will eventually crack and fall out..

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have done this myself and I agree with Ray. Weld the holes closed and grind off. Take your time and go slow so as not to build up heat in the panel as this will lead to warpage. Bondo would just be temporary and would eventually crack or blister.

Scott

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
What about epoxy putty? Dickson

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I used Bondo to fill a few emblem holes in one of my front fenders... eight years and two paint jobs later, and no cracks, swells, or shrinkage. Maybe I'm just lucky or something. My logic is that the Bondo that oozes through the small hole forms a "plug" on the backside that holds it all in place. Make sense to anyone else?

G

·
0 Posts
Dan is right. I've used POR-15 putty with good success in the past. As I'm not a welder, or don't have access to one, it just wasn't an option.

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
We used Metal2Metal, sanded it smooth, and then put a thin coat of Bondo over it. On the rear quarter panels on my fastback, we put fiberglass cloth over the holes first when we eliminated the side reflectors. I think the holes for the retainers were a little bigger, which is why we used the fiberglass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts