Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many questions on this and other boards, as well as reading everything I can find, this is my plan for rebuilding my 200. What I am asking is for the experts to evaluate and see if you notice any problems.

This is my wife's car. It is a 1966 Mustang Convertible. She will use as a daily driver traveling a 15 mile round trip to work. This project started because the car was fouling one plug every 1-2K miles. Another two plugs were getting bad also. She is not real interested in huge horsepower gains, but I would like to give it a little more kick and dependability. I needed something to do with my son and figured rebuilding this motor would be time well spent with him and also give him some basic automotive knowledge.

Here is my plan:

Carb: Upgrade to Weber DGV and increase manifold to 1.75"
Rebuiild Linkage

Head:
Mill .060
3 angle valve job
Backcut intake valves
Pocket port the intakes
Polish head
Hardened Seats

Ingnition:
Duraspark

Block:
Polish pistons
Install Moly type rings

Exhaust:
Enlarge exhaust ports
Install exhaust divider

I have more plans for other upgrades, but I am focussing on the engine at this time. I want to take the time to thank all of you who have responded to my posts as I gathered info for this project. As this is my first rebuild, I am sure you will be hearing from me again very soon.

Please let me know what you think

Bob

·
Registered
21,268 Posts
Why not look into rebuilding a 250 inch six? You can do the same thing with your son. Remember there's no subsitution for cu. in. It'll make a real nice difference without being obvious.

Check with the six cyl. guys with reguard to any clearence problems. The 250 has a taller deck height.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For a daily driver, take the time to put disk brakes up front. Its a big difference in stopping and maintainance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts