Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After playing with the cable clutch for a while to get the preload right, The first thing I noticed is that 2nd gear grinds but all other gears work great ,I purchased the trans used , Had it rebuilt at a reputable trans shop , Now the shift to second gear grinds unless I drop the RPM's down , the trans has less then 100 miles since rebuild , I have run Mobil 1 ATF since rebuild. any recommendations or idea's ??? It's really gonna suck if I got to pull it and bring it back to the trans shop !! :shrug:

·
Registered
767 Posts
If the trans shop is local, I'd drive the car over there PRONTO and show them what's happening with the trans still installed.

I have to say though, it doesn't sound good...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I would too, it won't be too bad to pull, exhaust, drive shaft and 4 bolts and it's out.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well , I just spoke with the trans shop , I didn't actually pay to have it "rebuilt" I had it inspected and all new seals installed for $480. It now needs to go back for new syncros Free Labor , parts should be around $200 I guess .... :shrug:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Or one that wouldn't offer lifetime LABOR warranty and then not do a rebuild if they had the whole thing apart. That's just dumb.

It's possible that all they did was "inspect" the outside of the trans and the inside of your wallet, but if they had the thing apart, there's no excuse not to push you hard to install a rebuild kit. Those kits are under $175 retail, so a shop probably gets them under $150.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses guys, This shop had been highly recommended to me me , But I'm real disappointed, seems to me anytime I had to take a car to a trans shop. it's bend over time !

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,353 Posts
Re: Finally got to run

I would try draining the Mobil 1 and refilling with plain old Dexron III/Mercon. A number of people have discovered gear grind when switching to synthetic fluid. Evidently it makes the blocker rings a bit too slippery to do their braking jobs. WC T5's actually have carbon material on the blocker rings sort of vaguely like brake shoes have.
Worth a shot. Some folks have T5's that work just fine with synthetic ATF, others not-particularly those in the habit of "speed-shifting".
A shop that works/has worked on T5's quite a bit should be able to spot blocker rings that have worn into the syncros too far. But to guys that don't work on them all the time it's not quite THAT obvious without an actual teardown.
If you actually do have a slipping blocker ring due to extra slippery ATF, then if may take quite few miles before the problem is cured. You should be able to notice a gradual improvement though. At least within 100 miles in-town driving. I'd hope for a cure at about 500 miles (pure guesswork). If not then actual repair work is next.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Finally got to run

Thanks for the response GypsyR , I had been considering changing the fluid, It is absolutely worth trying , Other then the 2nd gear problem I'm loving the T5 driving !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts