Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First...it is amazing how much you take modern radios for granted. I've been stuck with the OEM AM radio for listening pleasure since I bought the car. I looked for options to replace the radio all over the place. I wanted to retain my stock look but wanted to be able to play CD's and listen to FM. It looked like my options were Custom Autosound...and Custom Autosound? You'd think there would be other more easily found options. I've heard mixed things about CA and I didn't like the idea of paying $460-500 plus install to have to open my trunk to change CDs.

Here are my requirements for my radio:
Radio Freq. Remote so I don't have to point it at anything.
It plays CD's.
AM/FM Stereo.

Enter Crutchfield:
I found a special on last year's model of Jensen. Usually $250 reduced to $150, plus they added in $350 worth of extra equipment, one of which was a RF remote. This was the only radio that was under $500 that had an RF remote. So I bought it and some JBL 3.5" speakers, total, $220.

Took it to local audio shop. Installed radio in glove box and speakers in dash for $100.

Now I have some tunes!!! YEAH!!!

For $320 I have new speakers, CD player with RF remote vice spending $500 for CA Cd player. I did make sure my head unit had CD changer controls...so I can add that later.

Now with saving that $300 (I had to buy the radio...request by SWMBO) I can actually buy new tires (request by RI inspection station).

Long story...no point...except that if you are looking for radios and a stock look, this is an option.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I was debating on puttin my radio in a hidden place as well... but I broke down and **fabricated** my radio bezel for a CD player.

I figured I would do what was easiest and pretty much standard.

Like most of the guys say here, Do what you think is right, "Its your car"

I only have 2 MB Quart component speakers(6 1/2s with tweaters) in the car now. They are installed in a box that I built to hide behind the seat, until I completely redo my interior, But it works /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

pretty loud too

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
The metal grate in the top of the dash, where the heater ducts are, can accomodate two 4" speakers. I just had to replace them in my vert last weekend cuz I blew them on the freeway (kinda noisy with the top down). Make sure you use a crossover (capacitor).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used 2 3.5" speakers...That just seemed the standard. Not sure of the 4"s...but the previous poster seemed to work it in.

I was thinking of some back speaker ideas. My big I was thinking of putting some 8" speakers in the trunk behind the rear seat facing into the interior. Has anyone tried that? I have a vert so I'm limited where my speakers can go. Basically, I'm trying to get better sound while looking stock.

Slade

1 - 5 of 5 Posts